Cardboard figure keeps police at bay

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sculker, Nov 29, 2008.

1. sculker

sculker New Member

:eek:

Cardboard figure keeps police at bay
    by The Star-Ledger Continuous News Desk
    Thursday November 27, 2008, 11:00 PM

A cardboard figure of a person inside a Somerset County bank kept police at bay for 90 minutes tonight, authorities said.

The standoff at the PNC Bank on routes 518 and 601 in the Skillman section of Montgomery Township ended at about 10:20 p.m., Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne Forrest said.

Police responded to the bank when an alarm went off about 8:40 p.m.

When officers arrived, they saw what they thought was at least one person through the windows of the bank, which had its blinds drawn, according to authorities.

Police then sealed off the area to traffic and evacuated residents in three nearby apartment buildings .

"I drove in the parking lot (of my apartment building) and see all these guys with guns," said Ross Stout

Authorities tried to make contact with whoever might be in the building. Officers used bullhorns, and then tried to call inside the building, Forrest said.

After failing to get any response from the figure inside, the SWAT team entered.

To their chagrin, they discovered the "person" seen inside the building was a full-size cardboard figure, Forrest said.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/11/cardboard_figure_keeps_police.html

2. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Barney, you caught Andy. I'll call out "Hootie hoo" and you answer "chicka chee, chicka chee".

3. katalyst

katalyst New Member

It's just part of the "cop vs. robber" arms escalation. Cops have been using cardboard cutouts for ages to scare speeders, and now robbers are using them to scare the police. ;)

4. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Yup, I think that's it.

6. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Okay, this opens up soooo many possibilities.

1) Rotate cardboard Marine cutouts into the war, bring our guys home, and stalmate the entire Middle East.

2) Nominate a cardboard Republican candidate for 2012. Can't possibly do worse than the last one, and no embarrassing faux pas to be used against him. The debates would be priceless.

3) End the "best home defense round" debate by employing a cardboard guard with a cardboard Mossberg.

7. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

y stop at just one, i say have a platoon in your house

8. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Well said, Sgtdeath, but why stop there? Go old school Blazing Saddles, and set up a cardboard copy of your whole town, complete with cardboard citizens. Load it with dynamite, when the home invasion takes place, Gene Wilder ends it with one well placed shot.:)

9. Boris

Boris New Member

You might want to bare in mind that all general patrol officers in the 42 UK police forces are unarmed, given the amount of illegal firearms available to the criminal fraternity I wouldn't be too quick to make fun of these officers who appear to be a little caucus, they are doing a job very few US police officers would do without a sidearm......................

10. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

great idea aswell as great movie, my favorite part is is when (forget characters name) holds himself hostage to get away from the bigots, laughed my a$$ off

11. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Very true. If I were a cop in the States, I'd be packing heat. But keep in mind that our country allows the legal ownership of firearms. Its not the legal law-abiding citizens the police need to fear. Its the idiot criminals that illegally use their weapons they should fear. Because our population is legally armed, our police force had better also be armed.

If I were a cop in the UK, I would have to have some 10-pounders to go without a sidearm. A gun is a lot more useful than a billy-club when you get down to brass tacks (IMO).

12. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Richard Pryor..."Nobody move, or the ni##er gets it!"

Very very VERY good movie :)

13. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

police without guns, sounds like bossy citizens to me, y cant they have sidearms. just doesnt make any sense to me

14. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

thats it, proly the funniest scene in the movie

15. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Richard Pryor???:confused:

You mean Cleavon Little.

16. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Yea......um, where did I come up with Richard Pryor? <hangs head in stupidity>

I did get the quote right though :D

17. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I can just see the Home Alone kid in a ski mask plotting how he is gonna thwart S.W.A.T. with a train set and some mannequins.

18. ScottG

ScottG New Member

I liked the part where the welcome sign rolled itself up....

19. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Sheriff Bart - "So Kid, what's your pleasure? What do you like to do?" ...

SF Kid - "play chess, scr*w"

Bart - "Lets play chess"

cracks me up every time!

20. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

ahhhh. who cares you got the quote right, thats all that matters