Carcano, a thrifty idea?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 308Wins, Jun 24, 2013.

1. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

I've been contemplating one for about a year now, and for a bit I thought I might as well get a Mosin because it's so popular. I saw several at a gun show yesterday, and I'm just staring them thinking "this isn't for me...". A high-powered, bolt action rifle still, but that's all it is to me.
    So I got back to thinking about the Carcano. I checked out some online auctions, and they aren't terribly much more expensive. I haven't gotten to fire one before, but I want to have one of my own to go shooting with =).
    My questions are...
    -Are they reliable?
    -How's the ammo cost?
    -At how far are they accurate?
    -I'd really like a 91/38, are they hard to find?
    -What do you think would be a preferred environment to buy one at?

2. marc29th

marc29th New Member

- Are they reliable - No
    - How's the ammo cost - box of 20 for $20 for new PPU ammo
    - How far are they accurate - ask Lee Harvey Oswald... but most people aren't very accurate with them
    - 91/38 are they hard to find - not hard but not easy to find either
    - preferred environment to buy one - probably online auction site or gun show, otherwise hit or miss at gun shops

3. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

"Oswald got off three shots in only SIX seconds, with an old Italian bolt action rifle, including a headshot!"
    88 yards away

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  4. marc29th

marc29th New Member

So they say ;-)

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

From two different directions no less. Lmfao

6. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

some of them had a progressive twist in the rifling, it would start at say 1 in 25 & gradually tighten up. when these guns had the barrel shortened to be sporterized, which many of them did, the accuracy disappeared. best to try & find an original un altered one.

the one I had cycled really well but wasn't real accurate, kinda looked like a shotgun pattern on the target at 100 yards. yes, mine was one the of shortened ones.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

There is a pretty good documentary where they duplicated the Oswald shots and wind conditions and the skull fracture patterns, the brain/blood spray patterns, and even the magic bullet all were reproduced on first shots from Oswald's position. They tried other theorized positions and systematically ruled them out.

It was a pretty good show. Think it was called "Inside The Kennedy Car" or something like that.

As far a Carcano's go. Finding a variety of sources for ammo, and the need to use a Mannlicher Carcano clip inside the mag for them to be a repeater, makes them a bit less desirable. Quality varied a bit through the years.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'm half tempted to sell you mine.

In some circles, they are considered very

accurate.

They have progressive rifling.

I can't get mine to cycle 2 additional rounds in under

45 seconds, but you'd have to judge that for yourself.

The government's never lied to us before, right?

IMO, if you can get an M44, 91/38, or any other Mosin

carbine, it's a far better rifle. There are clean Polish

Mosin M44s available, which are unfired, and in near-mint condition.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  9. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

As many documentaries as I watch, I'm thinking one of the half-dozen JFK assassination videos I've seen was the same one. I remember the magic bullet, but IMO, unless Oswald truthfully told them what happened, they're never gonna know for sure

10. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

I still really like the Mosin rifle, but it just doesn't feel like it has the infamy of the Carcano that I'm looking for. And nah, I'll be searching for a semi-smooth bolt

11. marc29th

marc29th New Member

While the Mosin-Nagant is a better rifle with cheaper ammo if you have your heart set on a Carcano get one, I have 3 Steyr-Mannlicher's M95s and they are a similar design with expensive ammo but still fun and historical.

12. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

Okay that's all I needed. I'll be starting a search, lol. Any idea what a reasonable price would be? I've seen from $200 to $400

13. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Last on I saw about a month ago was $350. Looked to be in good shape but I didn't check bore or action as it was bolted down, I hate gun shops that do that.

14. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

The ones I like to go to, will let you do what you want to check it out if you are seriously considering buying it

15. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I could have asked to take a look and it would not have been a big deal, but I was just browsing and didn't really need to see it.

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As far as historically significant, yes. The Carcano fill a slot in a collection. As far as a practical shooter or SHTF rifle, I wouls say a resounding NO!

Ammo expensive and hard to find. Needs clips to be a repeater

17. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I've got a bandoleer full of Steyr-Mannlicher M95 en-block clips most were found on eBay, just did a quick look and there are Carcano en-bloxk clips available as well.

ForumRunner_20130624_213843.jpg

ForumRunner_20130624_213907.jpg

18. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

Just want it to take to the range every once in a bit, and a nice gun to have. As far as getting a SHTF rifle, well, that's what the other guns are for =)

19. HankStone

HankStone New Member

Farce,Farce JFK was assassinated by a sniper rifle,no WW2 Carcano wall hanger junk iron.

20. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

Any rifle a motivated Marine uses is a sniper rifle