Carbine vs. Mid for first build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by darthpizza, Feb 24, 2011.

1. darthpizza

darthpizza New Member

Hey guys, I've been looking around this site for a while but this is my first post. I am in the process of building my own AR and I decided to buy a complete upper. I am having a problem deciding between a carbine and a mid length. The gun will mostly be for short target shooting and some zombie removal :) I guess what i'm looking for is advantages/disadvantages to each type. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

please give us an intro in the new member section :)

as to your question i personally see no point of carbine length if you dont have a short barrel permit. mid length gives a smoother recoil impulse. optimal is rifle length. carbine length is a short fast impulse as it drains gas from a higher pressure barrel point than mid or full.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Mid length will shoot a little softer/smoother. Some say its easier on the internals as well. Plus it gives you a longer sight radius.

4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

What length barrel? Assuming a 16", I'd go with the middy if your going to order a new upper for your build for the reasons JonM stated

5. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

ISix of one, half a dozen of the other, so to speak. Differentiating between the recoil impulse of a mid length gas system and a carbine system, both on 16" barrels, is not terribly easy to do. The mid length gas system is a "solution" to a problem that didn't exist.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree with the above except Jeep. Jeep does make a point but Midlength gas is ideal for 14.5-16". If you're going say 11.5-14.5" carbine makes sense. There is overlap at 14.5 but carbine isn't the best choice at 16".

ETA:
    And since the cost is roughly the same, why not choose the best solution for your barrel length...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  7. MrMilspecer

MrMilspecer New Member

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Excellent write up by Randall as usual, thanks MrMilspecer!

9. darthpizza

darthpizza New Member

Thanks for all the info, decided to go with a 16" mid. It will be here on Wednesday!

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Specs on the barrel?