Car survival kit.

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by savageman97, Jul 27, 2013.

1. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

I just got my first car and it's a little two wheel drive toyota pickup. I am gonna build a box in the back that will just be a giant waterproof drawer to hold my essentials because there's not much wiggle room in the cab. I have an area about 21 inches wide by 36 inches deep by about five inches tall that I can use for survival gear and stuff. I was wanting kind of a get home kit and an overnight gear kit hybrid. If that makes sense. :) I was wondering what u guys thought about it and what I should include in the box? Thanks for reading my post! :)

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I carry one item in my car at all times.
    A very small package consisting of a cotton ball impregnated with petroleum jelly wrappers in aluminum foil, steel wool, and a 9 volt battery. Each item is individually wrapped in foil and wrapped together. Very small and easy to grab and go. Gauranteed fire with approximately a 10 minute burn time.

3. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Here is what U keep in my car

- gallon of water
    - E-tool
    - hatchet
    - flashlight w/extra batteries
    - wool blanket
    - fire starting kit
    - gloves
    - first aid kit
    - jumper cables
    - small tool kit
    - adjustable wrench
    - screwdrivers
    - pliers

4. marc29th

marc29th New Member

*I
    ... stupid phone

5. woody63m

woody63m New Member

I keep bear grylls in the bak seat it's easier this way just let him eat the food that falls under the seat and he drinks his own urine and he is good untile I need him

6. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Add to the list... Jumper cables, dust tape, 2400 calorie emergency food ration bar (sealed 5 year shelf life), Bic lighter, 50 to 100ft paracord (550 type, 7 strand) and the MOST important thing to keep in your car, Bug-Out-Bag... a HEADLAMP !!! A headlamp has saved my bacon more times than I can count.
    OH...P.S..... I recommend at least one of those reflective small emergency blankets. Maybe even 2 or 3... because they don't take up a lot of room and can be used for multiple uses.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Some cheap bulky things can be stored unlocked, even in an open box in back. Like a couple of cheap tarps, qt of oil, water, bungee cords, rope, work gloves, jumper cables. Those items are hardly worth stealing and save room in your "lock box". A come-along and a couple of tow ropes can be handy.

8. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Oh man, I'll have to get in my car to tell you all the crap I carry. But I'm on vacation ATM. I'll post when I get back

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Tire chains, full size shovel, Gore-Tex/Thinsulate boots and gloves. Carhart bibbers and coat with hood. Road flares. Small tube to siphon fuel from the tank if needed. Water, granola bars. CB radio. Sleeping bag. Flashlight with laser. Signal mirror.

10. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Geez... Are you an Ice Road trucker?? That list is for serious Winter weather road survival!!
    That brings up a good point... Exactly what would be a particular person's driving environment ???? :confused:

11. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Its not something I have thought about. Extra cigarettes.

12. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Get ya a toolbox for your truck bed, then you will have all kinds of room of stuff. People are amazed sometimes what I pull out of there

13. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I do believe Locutus lives in Wyoming, so his list sounds like pretty standard fare for his area. :D

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

A set of metric combination wrenches.

A roll of duct tape and a couple wire coat hangers.

This will sound crazy, but during my salad

years I had Corollas. They ran like tops, but you

have got to get creative with tools and maintenance.

Early on, stubby 3/8th ratchets weren't available like

today. I literally hack-sawed half the handle off a ratchet.

It got the hard jobs done three times as fast, because it fit

everywhere.

15. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Which year, and engine?

Some of the older ones can be worked on extensively with just a couple of wrenches, and a screwdriver. The newer they are the less user friendly the maintenance gets. But the probability of needing to work on them goes down as they get more electronic.

16. hq357

hq357 New Member

This is the flashlight im thinking about getting for in the car. What do you guys think? Good idea? Ill have smaller flashlights in my bug out pack this will be used in or around the vehicle. Or to break a window to save somebody or beat some skulls in or give to my passenger if i dont hav another weapon for them also you can take this anywhere weapons are not allowed and you can always keep it in your car without suspicion to big to carry if i need to abandon my vehicle or i might just keep it in case things are really going down hill and i need a club.

image-1316652310.jpg

6 heavy d cell batteries in a metal tube wrap the batteries in tape for an even more sturdy club. Good idea?

Attached Files:

17. hq357

hq357 New Member

image-1081616106.jpg

Theres also this bat looking one but its an obvious weapon and the light bulb would probably shatter if you hit anything with it.

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Excellent car light. But get the Police model that's rechargeable from the cigarette lighter.

19. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I'm still kitting out my new Jeep. So far I've installed a CB radio and Hi-Lift jack. The jack can also function as a winch and "Jaws of Life" spreader tool with the right accessories (That's the red object you see between my spare and back seats). I intend to get a first aid kit, fire starter, jumper cables small tool kit, and front bumper w/winch. Space is very limited in the Wrangler so I can't get too crazy. I have a small utility trailer that can haul a lot more if need be.

Attached Files:

20. mdauben

mdauben New Member

I always carry a few essential in a duffle in the back of my SUV.

- first aid kit
    - tool kit
    - jumper cables
    - flashlight
    - folding shovel
    - mechanics gloves
    - bottled water
    - food bars
    - knife
    - fire starters
    - poncho
    - space blanket