CAR (Cowboy Assault Rifle)

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by CA357, Jan 21, 2013.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The Marlin 336 is finished. With pics.

Completed pics in Post #28

I picked up a Marlin 336 in 30-30 last Saturday. The serial number dates it to 1961.

When I got it home I gave it a good once over and then proceeded to dismantle it. It's missing the sight hood and the magazine tube spacer that goes between the barrel and the tube. At some point a sling swivel was installed where the bullseye goes and the swivel is gone and the area is somewhat gouged out. There's a couple of small gouges on one edge of the foregrip and there's some typical bluing loss and some pitting on the receiver. The barrel and crown are fine and although the rifle is crusty in areas, it's obvious that it was kept cleaned and lubed.

I ordered a mainspring, firing pin spring, mag tube spring, sight hood and mag tube spacer from Brownells and now have to wait until the parts get here.

I'm going to de-junkify the crud, clean any rust, plug the hole in the stock and clean up the forearm gouges as best I can. I'm going to strip the finish off the wood and oil it and replace the springs and missing parts. It's pretty obvious that it was someones hunting rifle and while it's worn and has some issues, they're pretty minor.

We live in the woods now and there isn't a shot over fifty or so yards, so it will be the perfect rifle for here. The only issue now is finding some ammunition. A friend offered me some reloading equipment a while back and I'm going to see if the offer still stands. In the meantime, 30-30 is going for a buck or so a round when it can be found.

I didn't take any pictures of it before I disassembled it, otherwise I'd post them. Right now it just a pile of parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

where does the bowl go? :p

3. CA357

That holds bran flakes for the robot.

4. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I was thinking of getting a Cowboy Assault Rifle also, only in .357 for my 18th birthday as a home defense carbine.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

I've lusted after a similar 30-30 for quite a while, but some pistol or other always buts in line. The .357 option appeals more nowadays, to match my GP100.

6. CA357

I had an '94 Marlin in .357 some years back and it was pure fun to shoot.

7. CA357

I've got everything cleaned up now. I got an email from Brownells stating that the parts are on the way. Now, if I can only remember where it all goes. ;)

I'm posting some pics of the browning and pitting on the barrel and the pitting on the receiver. I was thinking about cold bluing it, but I'm tempted to leave it be and just keep it oiled. What do you think? Would you reblue it or not?

BTW, the barrel cleaned up beautifully and is in great shape. However the mag tube looked like it had fifty years of burnt powder, mud and rust in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

It reflects the satellite pulses. ;)

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I think that gun has character and should remain with all its wrinkles and warts intact.

Besides if you pretty it up, some gangster-bear will try to take it from you!

10. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Quite a project you've got going. Good luck with getting it the way you want it.

11. CA357

Thanks. It's got character, so I'll just keep it as it is and keep it well oiled. However, I will strip the stock, fill that hole and oil the wood.

12. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I think thats a great project. Most of the guns we charish the most are the ones that were shot hard and put up wet.

13. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

Calling this an assult rifle might just get these great hunting rifles banned as well. Just thinking out load.

14. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Like canebrake said, it's got character and shows it's been chosen to be used for a good reason. More often than not people cold blue their guns and it looks like it. I'd leave it be.;)

15. CA357

Yup, gonna' leave it be.

16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Good...
    You made me leave my "junker" lever-action all beat up ... ;) :p

17. CA357

Yeah and look how great it turned out. :cool:

18. CA357

I can't get the firing pin retention pins out of the bolt no matter how much penetrating fluid I put on it. I'm going to have to go to a gunsmith or machine shop and have then pressed out. I want to clean out the firing pin channel. At this point, I'm almost ready to just spray some brake cleaner in there and then blow it out rather than mess with it.
    I'm still waiting on the parts from Brownell's.

19. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Very nice project CA, good choice not re-bluing it, it looks much better the way it is.

20. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Are you going to put swivels on it? A sling is handy on a huntin' rifle.

Did you have the bolt in a solid vise when you tried removing the pins? It makes a big difference.