Capacity

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by mahall, Aug 23, 2013.

1. mahall

mahall New Member

18 of 9mm, 10 of 45, or 6 of 357mag!! I believe these are the high end capacity of most guns in these calibers!! Choose 1 for life or death random situation! And you can use any type of ammo via HP or FMJ ect. I also believe, these are universally the most popular calibers! Just a fun thread!!

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I bought a 10mm so I could get the capacity of 9mm with more stopping power than 45 acp.
    Before that the 1911 was my primary carry. Can't say I miss the limited capacity or bruise on my hip.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The number of bullets does not matter if all are misses.

What are you more accurate with under pressure?

Try a competition with either and it will put pressure on you to do your best.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Absolutely right. Although in a situation like that it doesn't hurt to have the extra bullets if you do panick and miss.
    I was extremely accurate with my 1911. I get faster target acquisition with my glock. I can still blow out the bullseye at 21 feet. Just more comfortable knowing that if I have multiple targets I could recover from a couple misses (assuming time allows).

5. mahall

mahall New Member

How bad can you really be from 20 feet in with 18 rounds?? Even if 3 hit, chances are good that BG is probably going to go the other direction if not bleeding bad enough that thought of aggression is probably not a good idea any longer!! I'm a huge capacity freak!!

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Depends on the attacker. I know a cop that dealt with a Meth addict. He emptied his mag into the guy basically from point blank and he kept coming. He wrestled with the guy for a few minutes before he died. When they did the autopsy they found that the guys heart had basically been blown out his back. The guy was so drugged out he didn't know he was dead.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Its not just meth heads we also have the salt zombies. Nothing worse than a salt zombie coming at you. All they want is to eat your face literally. Snorting bath salts burns out the brain and turns on the zombie hunger for human flesh and the no holds barred zombie strength and nothing short of lots of bullets stops them.

8. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

The only way you will know that is if someone is shooting at you and the bullets are buzzing round your ear. Accuracy could go out the window in that situation no matter how good someone is at the range. So extra rounds could come in handy.

9. mahall

mahall New Member

I think that is a bit extreme!! Give me 15 from my glock 19 and I will win most battles even if its 3 or 4! Cause you can bet I have another 15 round mag nearby!!

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol. Haven't had too many zombies in my area but you're Absolutely right from the reports I've seen.

Nothing like trying to keep your head on straight when someone is trying to take it off. The closest you can come to training for it (on a standard range) is to sprint around a bit and then bang out 50 pushups, grab your gun and shoot. It's amazing what heavy breathing and shaking arms will do to your accuracy.

11. mahall

mahall New Member

Even more of a case for high capacity!! Lol I love the language-:)

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have seen people miss targets at 10 feet!

Granted the range does not allow for targets to shoot back, but just the pressure of a competition can rattle someone.

(How many take a brief run up and down the range and try to hit targets when out of breath?)

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

I don't fault anyone for wanting higher capacity guns. I can perfectly understand the argument.

For myself, however, later on I might bank on statistics being in my favor. IF I ever have to use my gun, presenting it will probably be enough. IF I do have to pull the trigger, one time will prolly be enough to scare him off. IF he doesn't scare easily, 1-3 hits should be enough to stop the threat.

IF multiple bad guys come after me, I'll adjust my shots accordingly.

I'd rather be comforted knowing that the wheel gun in my belt will definitely fire six times, than worry that the semi-auto in my belt might misfire one too many times.

Plus, I'll take the stopping power of .357 Magnum all day, every day over 9mm.

I do love my 9mms, though. And if I had to, I'd trust my life on either of my M&Ps.

14. mahall

mahall New Member

357 mag is awesome caliber!! If I could carry anything in 4" comfortably I probably would!!

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

Don't worry revolvers aren't jam free and do malfunction just like semis. Only when a revolver goes to hell it usually takes tools to get it working again.

Revolvers can suffer from lint dirt debris in the cylinder pawl area, overlong ammo not letting the cylinder turn , high primers or thick rims sticking the cylinder. I see it happen ALL the time in cowboy action shooting. Incident rates about the same as semis.

16. JW357

JW357 New Member

I know. But I'll be using factory ammo so the ammo/cases won't be an issue. And I shoot my guns often enough, and clean often enough, that I'll know about it before he issue comes up.

Ideally.

17. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Give me the 10 of .45 acp, unless I have more than 3 threats, then I will take my m&p9. If its life and death with a big bear, say a Kodiak bear the .357 is a must

18. mahall

mahall New Member

Sounds like you want all 3!! That's the whole point!! Power or capacity??

19. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I don't think I've ever seen it reported that someone needed to use all 15, 17 or 8 rounds for that matter to resolve a self defense situation. Police and military not included. I'll take 8 or 9 slow and heavy bullets, if for no other reason than to hold collateral damage to a minimum. If I need more I have another mag. Personally I'd feel just fine carrying a SAA in 45 colt with 6 300 grain bullets.

20. AR10

AR10 New Member

In the past, I was all about high capacity to put.me at ease. I am rethinking that. First I went from a Glock 20 with plus five on the mag, to a Glock 19 with a plus two, now I ordered a special mag that only holds eight, tops.

Mag has a lock built in, to shut the gun down. Mag shows up next week, I will do a review of it.