Can't stop the po po in Indiana

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by fireguy, May 14, 2011.

1. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Crazy news from the state where my family came from. The Indiana supreme court idiotically rules that a citizen does not have a right to resist an illegal entry to their home by the police. The fourth amendment has died a little more, here folks.

Court: No right to resist illegal cop entry into home

2. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

That's just bull-pelosi beyond belief. I respect LEOs (on an individual basis) for risking their life the same as someone serving in the military, but this continual infringement on personal rights is just moving us more and more to a big brother state.

Respecting the men who serve as police officers does not translate to giving them free rein to walk in to my home.

That being said I want to point out that I believe the officers had the right to enter the home because they were responding to a crime in progress (domestic disturbance). So in the case that went to the Court they were probably correct, but the ruling was much broader than the specific situation that they were suppose to be deliberating on.

They said it was in an effort to prevent violence. Here's an idea...get a GD search warrant and do your job legally!

Last edited: May 14, 2011

3. bkt

bkt New Member

Yeah, I saw this yesterday. This judge's ruling boils down to this: "Armed government thugs may break the law with impunity and you are guilty if you resist them even if they put you, your family and your property in harm's way."

Let's see what an appeal brings. If there's an appeal. If this turd's ruling is allowed to stand, it will become precedent in the future.

4. armoredman

armoredman Member

In writing, it's illegal to resist an illegal act. I think that invalidates the concept entirely, and SCOTUS will have a field day with this one.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Illegal doesn't always equal wrong, and legal doesn't always equal right.

I have seen more than one report of home invasion robberies and attempts at such by persons impersonating LEO's. I will continue to consider ANY group of masked men attempting to enter my home a threat and respond with whatever force needed to protect myself. It would be better for all parties involved if the government and its agents followed the 4th amendment.

6. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I think the majority of LEOs will continue to follow the law, they don't want any kind of lawsuits against them for 'illegal entry' whether or not the home owner is 'allowed' to stop them, nor would they trust the home owner to actually yield to a law like that. After all, the type of person who is going to shoot/fight a LEO barging in to their home is going to do it regardless of if it's legal or not.

Where I do see a INCREASE (not decrease) in violence is the occasional Barney who is on a power trip and going to 'prove who's boss' and take this as a right to enter anywhere he pleases. I know the majority of LEOs out there don't have this sort of mentality, but they are out there we've all seen them. They WILL be met with an INCREASE in violence!

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

This sets a bad precedent on every level.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

That seems wholly appropriate.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Doe this judge come from Kenya, too?

Something tells me taking away our constitution is

not going to be a good way to

* * * "avoid violence" * * *...

10. Texgunner

Texgunner New Member

This Indiana ruling sets a very bad precedent. I surely hope SCOTUS dumps it.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  11. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Not only does it set a terrible precedent but it will further endanger LEO's who become emboldened by it.

More and more it's looking like US against them ... and I honestly think that is just what the Govt wants :cool:

12. Texgunner

Texgunner New Member

The Left thrives on "us vs them" mentality. They derive a lot strength from their promotion of class warfare.

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Exactly.....

14. armoredman

armoredman Member

I have had a respected LEO tell me this actually further restricts LEOs, not empowering them, but I didn't get quite a full description of how that would possibly work. had many other street cops seem to think this is either a good thing or business as usual, only one or two thoguht it was over reaching.
    Oh well, I hope this gets appealed to SCOTUS and overturned before someone gets hurt because of it.

15. Like somebody else said, if somebody kicks in my door, I dont care who they are, I will open fire with either the 12 gauge or whatever pistol I happen to have closest to me.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

This decision is being discussed on another forum i visit, and a familiar court case was posted. The Case of Cory Maye - Reason Magazine

On the other forum, a comment was made that seemed to generalize this towards MS. I don't find that to be fair, though i have seen some seriously flawed LEO work here. This case wasn't far away in any sense.

BTW, my step-nephew had an article in that magazine not so long ago; he is an excellent writer, IMO.

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah, WHEN the revolution comes, (oh yeah,it's coming)

LEOs are going to have to choose between their

family, neighbors, and friends, OR the police state for which they stand.

Not a choice I for which I envy them, to say the least.

18. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Give me a break!!! police state they stand for my a**. I don't agree with this ruling myself but in reality it is the judges that did this sh*t not the police. Therewolf, my impression is your just full of anti-anything that dosen't let you do whatever you want and because the police are there to stop you you post dribble like your last post. :mad:

Scubie

19. bkt

bkt New Member

I'm not picking sides in your dispute, but were it not for the cops illegally entering a home, this case would never have made it to court and this ruling would never have been made.

The actions of a few cops don't speak for all cops, certainly.

But there may well come a time when LEOs and military might need to make a choice: follow orders, or obey the law. It wouldn't be the first time this happened.

20. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Well, it’s not the first time some self serving alarmist who sees ghost in the mist claims that all cops are is a tool of Big Brother. In my 37 years (I’ve gained a year) of being a LEO I have worked with hundreds of officers from city to county to state and federal officers from all over the United States and in that time I have met only a handful of DSOB’s that I don’t think should have worn the badge. To a man or woman they have worked their job with one objective and that was to help people, keep them safe and be there when people needed them. I listen to y’all talk and bad mouth those same people and most of the time I just let it go and move on. You don’t like the laws then change them, cops can’t. You don’t like speed limits well change them, cops can’t. You talk like cops are the bad guys, yeah there are some that should not be wearing a badge, but it is unfair and downright idiotic to put us in the same category as criminals and I for one am sick and tired of it. Without laws this great country would not be here as the rule of law is the only thing keeping society polite. Don’t believe me? Just go to any inner city and see how it works when people don’t pay attention to law and do what they want. You want to live in that type you go ahead I don’t. You don’t like laws then tell the politicians not the cops, cops don’t make the law and they enforce the law of the land.

Yes, I don’t do things that I know are wrong and I will not follow orders on things that are in violation of the constitution, but I also don’t disillusion myself into thinking I know everything (unlike some on this forum) and realize that there is not perfect world and just letting everyone do whatever they want will not solve our problems. That’s not utopia….. it’s anarchy. :mad:

Scubie