Cant hit an elephant with my M&P

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by opsshadowninja, Aug 19, 2012.

1. opsshadowninja

opsshadowninja New Member

Don't know what happened between when I bought it and now, bt somehow my sights are way off. I've never dropped the gun hard or even messed with the sights at all. I'd let my brother use it for his ccw and now he's telling me that he can't hit anything with it. What do I do?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

why are you shooting at elephants??

and second dont lend your guns to ANYONE if they are going out of your control!! your responsible for that firearm so long as you legally own it. unless you have legally married your brother i would highly recomend to get that gun back if youhavent

anyway, have you tried shooting it??

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree with JonM. i never loan firearms. i will loan my wife before a firearm!

maybe he can't shoot and the gun is just fine.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The polymer framed, striker fired guns have peculiar triggers that some folks have a hard time mastering. If your brother is right handed, he is probably shooting low left with the M&P. He is jerking the trigger. One more good reason to NOT loan him a gun, he is unwilling to practice enough with it or unable to shoot with sufficient skill to safely use the gun. Get the gun back and tell him he needs to go back to the Lorcin :)

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Holy cow. I don't think we all have teh entire story here. There is a lot of info missing.

So, this is your M&P that you have shot before.

How was it shooting when you shot it before loaning it to him?

Have you shot it yourself since loaning it to him wiht the same ammo you were using before?

Have you taken it a part and claned it and seen that everything was in good working order after loaning it to him?

What is his level of experience?

I won't loan my guns to just anyone, but there are family members who are gun people and good responsible shooters who I woiuld trust with my guns. I would trust them to use them, and maintain them as their own and return them the way they received them.

I won't tell you not to loan your gun out, because I don't know you or your brother and the level of skill or experience you are at. It's not something I take lightly, but I can't say NEVER.

6. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Apex, Apex, Apex

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid54.html

7. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

where I agree apex have fine products and if you're looking to take your M&P to the next level Apex but for this instance id have to say to the op, you need to get the gun back and fire it yourself to verify the situation it maybe your brother is having an off day and bad habits have set in he's not realizing and he can't hit the broad side of a barn then you're getting all worked up for nothing. I too would question loaning your brother a firearm for ccw purposes. loaner to the range is one thing but having a gun in your name being carried by someone else is asking for trouble if something were to happen that he used that gun and something didn't add up you will be charged as well. that's something you should think about. There was a guy I worked with that always told me "never trust your mother" and it has served me well in many situations.

8. kodiak

kodiak Member

Sounds like your brother doesn't know how to shoot.

You imply that it shot fine (for you) before you leant it to him...and he can't hit the broad side of a barn. You give no indication of shooting it after he had it. What am I missing here?

9. opsshadowninja

Well I would hope that he knows how to shoot because he was in the army for 4years. But no I actually have not shot the pistol myself since the supposed problems started. But thank you all for your feed back. I will b seeing him soon and I hope to shoot it for myself and assess the situation.

10. Corndork2

Corndork2 New Member

I also agree... NEVER loan a firearm.

However, I also have the same issue with my M&P. I really appreciate Robocop10mm's advice, as thats exactly what I was doing. I find the trigger pull on my M&P to be quite long, which after 1500 rounds, I am still not completely used to. I personally shoot very well with a 1911, and as such will be grabbing an Apex trigger kit as soon as I can, as they supposedly feel more 1911ish. Again, every shooter has their own quirks and preferences. Hope it all works out for you!

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Spare the elephants, shoot bears!

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Being in the Army for four years does not ensure his ability to shoot a sidearm well. I've shotqual courses with Marines who can smoke targets at 600 and 800 yds with rifles who are lucky to hit targets at 15 yards with a handgun.

Sidearms are secondary in a lot of the military as far a training and qualification focus.

13. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Handguns make rifle shooting look easy.

14. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

There are a few really good shooting technique videos on YouTube. I would start with that. Habits you develop for one handgun isn't necessarily good for another. Spend a little time with it and learn how it likes to be treated and accuracy will come after a while.

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Stance, grip, front sight, rear sight, breath control, trigger control, follow through.

After this, adjust the sights if they need it................

16. opsshadowninja

I fixed the problem finally. Turns out that the front sight moves on some earlier models after a few hundred shots. I just had to tap it back in place and put some lock tight in the grooves.

17. megamike

megamike New Member

Amen to that

18. RandyMarsh

RandyMarsh New Member

to be fair I once got a loan on my M&P from a pawnshop, and when I got it back the rear sight was way off to the left, totally ruining my aim until I sighted it back in.

19. DirkFugliss

DirkFugliss New Member

Same here. Factory sights did it. Tap tap. They drifted left again.

Got gunsmith installed night sights; drifted to left. Same thing.

Sent her back to her mama's house in Massachusetts. Awaiting her return.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

During the time I qualified with a pistol one had to demonstrate they could clean a 1911. We got eight shots of training and 16 shots to qualify. If you could empty the pistol out and change the magazine you qualified. The oral test and disassembly drill were more important than your shooting. Really for my MOS a pistol was more likely to be used as a hammer than a combat weapon.