can't get my barrel to polish! help please!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Broke124, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

Okay so I saw some pics on here of bright shiny silver Glock barrels and wanted to polish mine to that extent. I can't find anything to remove the blue whatsoever. I've tried multiple polishing compounds, and one rubbing compound. All of the attempts were done with my dremel and polishing attachment. All to no avail. Any ideas on proper technique and more especially proper compounds would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

2. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

did you soak it first? research my friend reserch.

3. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

No didn't know I had to. Soak it in what?.

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

4. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

I'm looking for a thread with step X step ......

5. jgatt187

jgatt187 New Member

Mothers mag polish, Dremel tool, and small felt polishing wheels. It'll look like chrome after an hour of polishing.

image-1480626473.jpg

6. judgecrater

judgecrater New Member

Most of the bright barrel you see are stainless barrels from Lone Wolf or KKM.

7. atrbertothy

atrbertothy New Member

All glocks have a coating on the medal to stop rusting. You would have to start with a course stone or sand paper to remove the coating, and then move to fine grits, but it would be better to use an aftermarket barrel, because if you change to dementions at the locking serface of the barrel you can make an unsafe weapon.

8. keystonetarget

keystonetarget New Member

I would leave that coating the way it is. In addition to corrosion resistance the coating has some self lubricating properties.

9. GrtWhytHype

GrtWhytHype New Member

Holy crap! Do NOT sand your barrel! Soak it in vinegar then rub it down with green scotch brite pad. The vinegar reacts with the bluing and the scotch brite rubs off remaining bluing. Soak it for a couple mins. As soon as you drop it in you'll see it start to bubble. It will have a bit of a rusted looked to it but after you rub it, it'll start to look cleaner. After you've removed the bluing then polish it with a polish compound (i use mothers mag and aluminum) and a rag! No SANDING! Sanding internal components changes dimensions and even the slightest change can affect the firearm.

Also, remember that the bluing is a protective coat. It protects against rust so you risk rust forming unless you keep on top of it or do something like clear coat duracoat.

10. GrtWhytHype

GrtWhytHype New Member

Oh yeah. Plug up both sides of the barrel with cotton balls so as to keep the vinegar from affecting the grooves of your barrel. Good idea to give it a GOOD cleaning after you're done with all of this.

11. Aperez

Aperez New Member

You forgot one step you should soak the barrel in water and baking soda after you take it out of the vinegar and scrub it. This will neutralize the acid from the vinigar and then you many polish. And for everyone out there that keeps saying that the coating on the barrel of flocks protects it from rusting and it's the tenefer that protects. Get better informed the tenefer on glocks is a treatment to the actual metal not the coating and the barrel can still rust on a coated barrel if not properly maintained like any other metal. I've polished many glock barrels and slides and have yet to see one come back to me with rust. Like I tell everyone like any firearm with any type of coating always keep your gun lightly oiled as it should be either way. Just my 2 cents

12. atrbertothy

atrbertothy New Member

Glock barrels do not have bluing. They are coated, vinegar will not get through the coating. It even takes some time with sandpaper or even sand blasting. The best way to get a shinny barrel for a glock is to buy an aftermarket barrel.

13. AR10

AR10 New Member

If you are dating a blonde and want a redhead, might I suggest another woman over soaking her in chemicals and rubbing her with green pads. Lol

KKM makes match grade replacement barrels for $165 ish. Lone Wolf barrels start about fifty bucks less. Both cone in stainless.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  14. AR10

AR10 New Member

Picture of my KKM 10mm barrel.

ForumRunner_20130326_033331.jpg

15. atrbertothy

atrbertothy New Member

I got the Glock armors course FROM Glock. I know the barrels are coated. I have a good idea of how hard this coating is and what it takes to get it off. And yes you can sand the barrel but if you don't know or have alot of skill just get an aftermarket barrel. It will save you time, money, and the headache.