Can't find it, help needed for MB options.....

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by AgentTikki, May 5, 2012.

1. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Running into a bit of a problem here, I'm helping a friend build a AR15performance 20" barrel. Its a .223 Wylde 20" but the threading is funky, 5/8 - 24. Its common for 6.8 spc and 308 or 7.62 barrels but I can't seem to find it for .223. To top it off he's going featureless so flash hiders are out. Must be a brake/compensator that doesn't have tines or advertise flash hiding capabilities.....

Anyone know of something that will work?

2. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Truthfully? I'd call a local gunsmith and see what he'd charge to re-thread the barrel.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I guess that's an option....its already threaded. Talking to AR15performance, he says he threaded it with 5/8 24 because apparently he feels its better for accuracy. Personally, I don't think threading is gonna effect accuracy but hey, he threads his other barrels with a stadard 1/2 x 24 so....also my friend was to keep from doing any custom work on the barrel if at all possible. Just looking for bolt on options at the moment. Thanks fer the input Ben :D

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

5. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

And I assume you've already asked AR if they have the brake compensator, since it is their threading?

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

great minds think alike. That's the first thing I told him to do.....but alas, they are closed on the weekends, and I'm an impatient sumbiotch. ;)

7. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Then relax and wait until Monday. Because otherwise, you're going to be driving yourself insane trying to catch a hurricane in a dixie cup.

8. Fixer

Fixer New Member

My 2 pennies on the issue is this. A 7.62 MB on a 5.45 rifle is fine. If someone has a reason this isnt acceptable, please post it.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Yeah we are talking about that. I'm guessing that it prologue wont be as effective as the channel is made for a round that is approx 40% larger in diameter. Not 100% but hey we may just have to see.

10. Fixer

Fixer New Member

I dont think you can judge the brake action on the size of the opening. I think the chambers diameter (chamber meaning the opening after the crown and before the exit hole) matters more. The gas hits the front and then directs up and out at the same time. So while the opening is 40% larger, the front inside surface the gas hits is also larger. I do agree, there will be a reduction, but it I don't have the math to say how much that is. I suspect it will be nearly as good as if the opening was made for a .223