Can't find a recipe for 9mm luger

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Nickwashere, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

I have a local dealer who sales powder and primers but I have to buy projectiles and manuals online.. I just started reloading and ordered some remington 9mm 115g FMJ's and the Lymans 49th edition manual.. I was shocked at how few recipes where available.. There was one recipe for a 115g HP.. But nothing else..is it safe to use the same recipe for a FMJ? also o got unique powder because every one said it was easiest for a beginner to handle due to its volume but there is no recipe for the 115g for this powder... Any suggestions? Or do I just need to count this combination a lost?

2. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

I also checked allient website and left them a message.

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

For the most part, yes, you can use the 115 JHP data. Treat it as a starting point. The biggest issue is the OAL. You will need to ensure that you err to the longish side of the spec. Also, if you are using a name brand bullet, call the manufacturers customer service line and see if they can help. Another way is with the "Plunk test" on your particular pistol.
    While I use Unique w/ 9 mm, I primarily use it for 147gr bullets. For the lighter practice loads, I like Bullseye.
    You will want to accumulate some more loading data as you go forward. I have three manuals along with all of the electronic data I can find. The Lee Modern reloading 2nd edition is worthwhile. It's a compilation of a lot of different data. I also use the Lyman 49th, it is a very good manual overall, but as you noticed, it does have some odd gaps in coverage.

4. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I use handloads.com quite often just for reference. I always try to find a load and veryify it with two or three other sources before dropping any powder. load data.com is also a great reference , I think its $20 a year and has amost all of the info from printed manuals and all the powder manufact too. Thats prob my best online go to for data.

5. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

Thank you both.. I used the recipe for the 115g HP because the its within the load weights for handload.com and the OAL from handloads.com.. I am glad 2 know about this site.. I am also ordering lees reloading guide.. Sounds like multiple guides is a must.. I will let you know how they shoot

6. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

7. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

I just wanted to follow up with you guys.. I ended up buying Power Pistol alliant powder.. after trying several combinations I found that using 6.0 grains.. with a OAL of 1.130 gave me the best accuracy.. I really enjoyed building this recipe.. thank you for your tips and help me find sites to refer to.. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to powders (and everything else for that matter) and which powder to buy there are so many it feels like a daunting task!

8. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Lees second edition manual.

Buy one.

9. steve4102

steve4102 New Member

The Lee manual is a copy of powder and bullet manufactures data. Lee does not test loads themselves, they just copy it. Most of the data in the Lee manual can be had for free at the powder manufacturer's web sites.

10. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Its the best collection of data I've found. I've also found alot of conflicting info between it and manufacturing websites.

The Lee info has always worked for me and countless other loaders for decades.

And, I used to have a blackhawk 41 mag that was rendered useless by data from Alliants website that they had to compensate me for.

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Easiest way to get proper OAL is to measure a factory cartridge of the same brand and bullet weight.:)

12. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

Thats actually exactly what I did lol..thanks for verifying that I was on the right track lol

13. mtbfarms

mtbfarms New Member

I was taught to reload 9mm with Remington 115's and w231. It's not the best powder out there but it's a great one to start with.

14. almostgem

almostgem New Member

My Taurus FS92 likes 5 gr of power pistol over 1.130 oal, but I'm firing 124 gr lead.

As far as OAL is concerned, the best way to find the correct OAL for the bullet you are using, is to remove your barrel, create a dummy round (No primer, or powder) and start with the longest oal that will fit in your magazine. It should also be at or below the max stated oal. Normally, the max oal will barely fit into the magazine or be too long for the mag. It needs to fit in the magazine :) - After that part of the test is completed, drop this dummy round into the barrel (chamber side) it should seat, but still turn. If it doesn't turn, the bullet is in contact with the grooves and is too long. Shorten (reseat) .010 and try again. When it turns freely, that's the OAL you want to use with this bullet. It will vary with bullet type and shape.

Keep this bullet for future reference with the box of bullets. You can use it to easily setup your seating die at a later date Put the bullet into the press, raise all the way, and screw down the die till it comes in contact with the case, tighten the ring, then screw in the top adjusting screw till it touches the bullet - That will set the OAL perfectly for you every time.

I just picked up a Bersa .380, and will be making some 100GR RN lead bullets for it. I'm going to try some titegroup and see if I can't work up an accurate load for it. I understand it meters much better than Unique.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  15. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

I ended up with 6g power pistol.. 1.13 OAL for the 115g FMJ

16. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

When reloading always start low and work your way up.

17. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

I bet that load is pretty warm. I used to use power pistol for all my 9mm loads then I got on consolidation trip and started using unique for all my pistol loads. I do still use power pistol for defense loads because of velocity advantages. But they are above max load data and I measure every charge so I don't suggest that unless you work it up in your gun.

18. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Get a manual for the brand of bullet that you are using because powder varies from brand to brand

19. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

Accordion to my manual and handloads.com the lowest weight is 5.9 and highest is 6.5... So actually I am on the low in..

http://handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=9 mm&Weight=115&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

Actually hand loads.com says 6.7 is max but my reloading manual is 6.5 and I tested 6.3 and it shot low and felt hot.. 6.0g felt light and shot a great group..

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012