Can't drift rear sight on Ruger SR40C

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by genesis, Sep 12, 2012.

1. genesis

genesis New Member

I just picked up a nice new Ruger SR40C. It shoot like a dream. Nice tight groups at 21 feet, but just about 2 inches left. I loosened the set screw with a 5/64 allen wrench per the instructions, but I can't drift the darn sight to the right. I've been banging on it pretty hard with a plactic bullet puller (which is made of really hard plactic), but it just won't move. I haven't tried putting it in a vise yet as I didn't wanna damage anything. Is a brass punch really necessary. Any suggestions?

Just found a couple of posts on various gun forums that suggested putting the slide in the freezer overnight. I'll try that tomorrow night, unless someone here thinks that's a bad idea.

One other thing, does anyone make fully (and easily) adjustable sights for this gun (not night sights). I like to experiment with my hand loads and need to easily be able to adjust the rear sight.

Thanks Guys,

Semper Fi

Don <><

2. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

It could be because bullet pullers are fairly light. If you have a plastic hammer you may want to try tapping on it with something like that which has a little more weight

3. genesis

genesis New Member

Thanks elfmdl. Good idea. I'll try using the bullet puller as a punch and bang on that with something heavier.

Thanks Again,

Don <><