Can't Decide

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Behavior Mod 50, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Behavior Mod 50

Behavior Mod 50 New Member

Greetings from Minn -15 degrees. I have been thinking of 1911s lately (mostly range work) and getting the fever, I have never owned one however have shot some several years ago, can't remember the brands. Currently shooting a p229 40, p226 9mm and a G21sf. I think it's time I jumped up a notch but can't decide on a kimber gold match II or a TRP Trophy match, I have held them, however no one around here lets you test drive before you buy. Any one have any knowledge with these or any others in the price range.
    Thanks for any input,,,,,,,,Randy

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Greetings from FL + 82 degrees. Why not look at a Colt?
    [​IMG]

You looking for blue O5870CS

[​IMG]

or stainless O5070X

[​IMG]

cb

[​IMG]

3. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

What kind of 1911 do you want?

The more refined 1911s are the Kimbers. The more "down and dirty" 1911s are the Rock Island Armorys.

What is your price cap?

You could always go with Nighthawks. They are the cream of the crop in the 1911 circles.

4. Behavior Mod 50

One that goes bang everytime and hits where I aim.

$1500

The nighthawks are definatly nice, but I still need my wife.

5. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Custom Kimber TLE/RL II

[​IMG]

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

SGT, you want cream, try this by Ted Yost;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only $5,500

http://www.heirloomprecision.com/forsale/

cb

[​IMG]

7. Behavior Mod 50

8. Behavior Mod 50

A little to much cream for this plinker!! unless it does the cooking and cleaning, cuz she(the bride) would be gone. Thanks for the pics thou she is pretty

9. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

This is the model 1911 I have:

[​IMG]

The only difference is I have a Hogue grip in place of the wood. Very solid 1911 pistol in my opinion. It's heavier than the Kimbers because of heavier materials used in the construction of the frame.

Average price for this 1911 is around 400-470 dollars. These make good "utility" 1911s I think.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Well if she kicks you out, come on down to the Gunshine State.

82 today and I caught a bass in my back yard lake.

Good luck with your search. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

cb

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I like the Kimbers as well - I have owned three over the years and still have two of those.

There have been some sketchy reports of some folks getting a problem gun from Kimber lately, but I haven't been able to discern if that was personal bias or a true problem.

Kimber, I believe, has a one year warranty on their basic firearms, lifetime on something breaking outright.

For the money, I think they are making one of the best 1911's on the market - but it does cost a bit more than some other 1911's that are out there as mentioned above.

However, I now also own three Nighthawks and I wouldn't trade them for ANYTHING in the 1911 world...:D

12. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

My $700 Kimber Compact II consistently shot dead on. This is a steel that I was shooting at 50 yards:

[​IMG]

As you can see, it was a run of the mill Compact also, nothing overly fancy about it. I added the Hogue Combats to control muzzle flip due to the lack of front strap checkering:

[​IMG]

I really wanted one of their custom guns when I bought my Compact, but couldn't afford it. After a few thousand rounds through the Compact though, I was glad that I save the extra cash. After 5 or 6 thousand more rounds, I was able to put decent groups on a paper plate sized steel at that distance and I was convinced that I didn't even need the custom gun.

Right now MSRP on a Custom II is $828. MSRP on a Gold Match II is $1345. $500 will buy a lot of practice ammo. The $500 worth of ammo will get you acquainted with your new favorite pistol and help break her in. Unlike many guns, the trigger on Kimbers only get better with age.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  13. Bighead

Bighead New Member

I think you've got it narrowed down to two excellent pistols. IMO probably the best production manufactured 1911's going, and I wouldn't want to live on the difference between the two manufacturers.

The FBI uses the Springfield Armory. The Marines & the LAPD use the Kimber.

I think you could probably search all day on the forums and the opinion pendulum would swing back and forth. If the cost is comparable, I would probably just go compare them side-by-side again and pick the one that struck me as my favorite.

Then there is always the traditonalist choice of a Colt. I don't think you would regret a Colt purchase either.

Good luck, wish I had your dilemma. Since I don't need adjustment sights, I would probably choose this:

Kimber Tactical Custom II
    [​IMG]