CAN'T carry 3 day's worth of water(on foot)

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by bonney, Nov 23, 2012.

1. bonney

bonney New Member

not along with all the rest of the needed stuff, and you can't function worth a hoot, if you are pushing hard, after 1 day without water. Water weighs 8 lbs per gallon, and you can need as much as 2 gallons a day, if you are really moving with a pack. So all that's feasible is 3-4 qts, and you have to find more, every day. Fortunately, that is normally not that hard to do.

2. paintsplat

paintsplat New Member

I don't know what the military carries now, but when I was in, about 35yrs ago, our pack weighed around 85lbs, that includes 6qts of water, we also carried 2qts on our web belts, that's 8qts total, plus weapon and ammo, but we didn't have the bullet resistant/proof vest they have today, we didn't wear a vest.

3. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Purification tablets ;)

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

You could purchase a good water filter which will only weigh in at around 1# then you need just enough water to prepare your food with and drink for just that day until you can reach water to be purified . I have a MSR Mini works EX , Here is the specs on it ,

Ceramic/carbon Marathon™ EX element effectively removes bacteria and protozoa including giardia and cryptosporidia
    Also removes unpleasant tastes and odors caused by organic compounds, such as iodine, chlorine and pesticides
    Filter can be cleaned over and over for maximum field life with no tools required
    AirSpring Accumulator™ increases filtration speed up to 1 liter per min.
    Bottom screws onto an MSR Dromedary® Bag or Nalgene® water bottle for easy operation (both sold separately)
    Easy disassembly lets you troubleshoot and maintain the MSR MiniWorks EX filter in the field

Weight reported dry, without accessories 1 lb.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

I carried two quart canteens on my belt. A collapsible 2 quart in my pack. A three liter camelbak, and usually 6-10 liter bottles in my pack.

What's a gallon? 3.8 liters or something like that?

So, I was carrying approximately 4 gallons at any given time, give or take. Hopefully. In Afghanistan. In the summer (125 degrees or so). And covered over 400 kilometers of mountain terrain in 4 months.

I had resupply though. But there were still occasions I has to filter water.

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

No, no, that can't be done. Bonny said so. Your operational radius is only as long as the distance to/from the nearest DQ. She knows!

7. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I kayaked a river for 7 days. Carried 3 gallons, purified 2 liters, then found a spring. I throw a gallon jug in the backpack when hunting, it all depends on what you're doing. You can't make broad generalities.

8. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Im in the southern part of the panhandle of Texas. Almost desert conditions. Pills and filters wont do you much good around here. We never walk more than a few miles from the truck but still make sure everyone has at least a gallon of water each during the summer.

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Ooo, Bonny's MAXIMUM carry limit -- u Texas folk are hard core but glad you're listening to her.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

No need to be inflammatory. :mad:

11. therhino

therhino New Member

I used to carry two quarts on web gear, a 2-quart in the pack, and a Camelbak. As mentioned, we had resupply, but in a pinch you canmake that last a couple days.
    The question you have to ask is, what are you running from that you need to move that fast? A large, mechanized force with resupply? A small, well-equipped unit on foot? Some sort of moving disaster (radiation cloud, forest fire, etc)?
    If you don't have ready resupply, you have to adjust your tactics. Instead of running like hell, perhaps hide instead. Hunker down and conserve your resources while the threat passes by.

I own an MSR Mini filter as well, and it's great. If you buy one, pack a handful of coffee filters in the pouch with it and a couple elsatic bands. Wrap the inlet mouth with a coffee filter to prestrain cloudy or debris-filled water. Saves the unit some life by keeping some of the larger junk out of the ceramic filter.

12. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Ooh!!! Ooh!!! Look at me! I'm carrying 10 gallons!

Attached Files:

13. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I take day hikes in the desert very often. I don't carry more than a gallon ever. Water is heavy and I am old. Even in the desert you can often find a water source and if you have a filter with you are good to go. I have been shopping for a source for the much lighter dehydrated water:D

14. bonney

bonney New Member

the man SAID he had support, and 250 miles in several months is not a lot of walking, either 85bs and a lot of foot slogging along (head up your butt from fatigue) is not the same thing as "running and gunning", either. If you know what to do and have the gear, water can almost always be found. Sometimes you have to dig for it and wait, other times you have to put plastic bags around green plants, etc.

15. bonney

bonney New Member

u r carrying 10 EMPTY gallon plastic jugs, and actually, all you are doing is standing there, long enough to snap a photo.

16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Living in Florida, it would be hard to walk for five miles, in any direction, and not find a water source, so purification is the way to go.

17. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

No...... I ran 2 miles first to see if I could balance them. Once I had determined that, I was so proud of myself, I decided to snap the photo. I should have mentioned that in the original post.

18. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Wow, lotta "remarks being made simply for the sake of being rude"...

19. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

If my posts were considered rude, I apologize, I was just joking around.

20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Ignore me Mosin...
    Kings Point!?