Canoe Repair

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by yingpin, Apr 29, 2012.

1. yingpin

yingpin New Member

I wanted to see if anyone on here has any experience with canoe repair or a recomendation on someone to take it to. My dad purchased a CoreCraft canoe new back in the late 60's or early 70's and I grew up with this canoe. I wanted to get it restored or do some repair work on it because last year it was leaking a little and the runners on the bottom are worn down from shallow water.

I am not sure if this canoe is worth putting a lot of money into but I want this to be in the family as long as I can. Last year a guy floated by our campsite and offered two Kayak's for the canoe as a trade but I am not sure why.

It is a fiberglass canoe white exterior and a red interior and I am not sure what I can do to extend its life. Any suggestion?

2. ultimate-soldier5

ultimate-soldier5 New Member

go to autozone or oreileys and get a fiberglass repair kit

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Good advice. Bass pro also sells stuff to restore em but not sure on $. Sportsman's guide is the same way.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

4. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

You could rhino line or line x the inside and get it color matched and it will NEVER leak again . I have seen it on John boats and canoes , line x is thinner therefore lighter , rhino is kinda think and may add quite a bit of weight . As for the runner or Keel on the bottom , go get some 1/4 or 1/2 aluminum or stainless angle and contour it to the the hull then glass over it . Use the woven mat instead or the hair or chop for the actual fiberglass . Get the longest gloves you can find as the resin is extremely sticky . Prep work is vital to making it last , be sure to sand it good and clean it prior to laying the glass , and you may want to finish hacking off the rest of the ridge so your angle will lay flat once you get it contoured . If aluminum or stainless is not easy to get in your area then use some pvc pipe , just somthing sturdy to help give you your profile back .

5. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Good advise posted for you. The fiber glass kits will put new life in the old boat. Canoes are fun.:D

[​IMG]

6. yingpin

yingpin New Member

That is some good advice and I will look at the repair kits. Its not something that I have done but I am sure it takes time and energy and I would like to make sure that I do my part to keep this boat floating down river. The runners in the middle of the canoe are not so bad its mainly the rear because it sits a little lower or at least we always put the heavier guy in the back and that caused it to drag but it was easier to steer.