Firearms Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From scratch, odds/ends out of the wood scrapbox, stuff found at the marine/industrial supply, drawn over mandrel 3/4" wall 1" dia. steam tubing.

Hardest part was cold forging the trunnion caps from 1/8" X 1" width strap steel. Tricky to get them to seat tight on the trunnions.

500 gr. Fg Goex, six squares of toilet tissue (two ply) . . . shooting blanks, but it does fire a lead ball or C Cell battery, nuts, bolts, nails, rocks . . .

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I wondered just exactly how naval cannons were rigged and the purpose of the hardware on the cheeks of the carriage. I question the accuracy of this depiction. Seems unlikely that the gun would be primed by someone holding a "slow match" and a fuse too or that this would be done while another man is loading at the muzzle. But the rigging layout is authentic:

·
Administrator
26,757 Posts
Nice looking gun! Have always liked the British term "Household Artillery". ;)

Turned a .75 cal Rodman style a few years back- had a 16" length of 2.5 " Phosphor Bronze that was scrap from another project, so thought- why not? Mainly for saluting fire, but would hum a 12 g slug thru a 2x4.

Did get a grin, tho- walked into a gunshop, bought a length of cannon fuse (used by a lot of makers of illegal fireworks) Fellow customer looked at the fuse, asked "Now, what do you want THAT for?" Looked at him, smiled, and said "I want it for my cannon. What else?"

Ref: Cold forging the trunnion straps- I cheated. 60 ton arbor press, and a swage block.

·
Banned
13,934 Posts
HEHEHEHEHE we built on out of an old Cat D8 Axel. It is one hell of a noise maker.

yours is much nicer looking that ours.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
HEHEHEHEHE we built on out of an old Cat D8 Axel. It is one hell of a noise maker.

yours is much nicer looking than ours.
I'm known affectionately by my neighbors as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon."

First run was really funky. White oak timbers from John Deer pallets, galvanized fence hardware. First run was for function. We were tired of strapping the tube to a pallet and having the pallet busted to pieces. No trunions, I used gavanized U brackets. Eye rings were "garnish" from naval cannons I'd seen. I had no idea what they were supposed to do.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.