Cane or walking stick?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Jan 14, 2014.

1. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Do you need/use one? If you do, here's another site that I've recalled from years ago, that you might like:

www.borispalatnik.com

Some very nice accoutrements, indeed.

2. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I use one but I made it . My equilibrium has not been quite the same ever since my surgery 3 years ago . Also good for minor self defense situations . :)

3. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

I carry a cane. It's primary use is for fighting (defensive) ,secondary is for support:)

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I make my own sticks.............

5. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Yes, but can yours fire 12 .22 cal. steel balls? ;)

6. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I like a walking stick in the woods,, knock away spider webs which I always seem to find,, briars, etc., and one can help as a support for shooting your firearm as well.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I carry a walking stick with a fork on the top of it. Makes a great support for a rifle and a good spider web removal tool.

8. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I was rode hard and put away wet too many times,yes I have a cane :eek:

9. Viking

Viking Active Member

That's what I want to do. Every once and a while I go out into the woods to see if I can find a bumpy, twisted oak, maple or madrone branch or small tree to make one. Thankfully at 71 years I have no physical need of a cane/walking stick but what concerns me is this latest "Knockout Game" thing that's been going on. It hasn't happened in our region yet but due to economic problems I wouldn't be surprised if those without scruples could easily use a knockout against those who look like they may be easy pray and being older and what hair left is gray it is possible that I could be on their list.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  10. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I have a cane and a walking stick. I like to have a walking stick when out in the woods and just used my cane on Monday when I got home from minor surgery and was still wobbly from the anesthesia.

When it comes time for me to use a walking aid regularly, I'm going to make myself a shillelagh. I made one for my mother when she was too vain to use a cane. I'll make one for myself and have a walking aid and self-defense aid, all in one.

Attached Files:

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I make my own sticks. I use Agave and Saguaro mostly. The agave is lighter than the saguaro but I like the rough texture of the saguaro better. Both are very strong. I have to get the material off of private land so I dont get very many and usually give them away. I do have a couple of small ones out of fir. I use agave and saguaro when hiking and one of the smaller fir ones when walking for protection from dogs. We had some problems with some vicious dogs that kept getting out. I would hate to shoot one. Too many problems afterwards. I have been considering drilling one of the fir sticks and putting in some lead. I have not used handles but you can find some brass handles on Ebay.
    The guy on the posted link makes some nice canes but $500-$1000 is a hefty price tag. below is a link for fighting canes.
    http://www.canemasters.com/

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It is hell when they put hair on an application and you have to enter some or very little.:eek:

13. Viking

Viking Active Member

Shillelagh, I was going to use that word for the walking stick I want to make only I was too lazy (also didn't want to wear out the pages) to look it up in my dictionary.

14. Viking

Viking Active Member

I finally gave up writing brown when I figured there wasn't enough to be considered anything other than grey for what was left.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

as much as i hate it, i am getting to the point that i am going to need a can soon to be able to get around. it's getting more difficult as the days go by. the nerves in my lower back are causing me more and more problems with my legs. and if i have to get a cane, then i am by gosh going to have one that has some style to it!:D

16. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

And a dagger? :cool:

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Sword!!!!!!!!:D

you and i think alike Boats!:p

18. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Link in the OP.