Can you shoot a shotgun under water?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by GoGlockOrGoHome, Apr 4, 2013.

1. GoGlockOrGoHome

GoGlockOrGoHome New Member

Can you shoot a shotgun underwater?
    I've been trying to find the answer online...
    I've found a bunch of articles and YouTube videos shooting pistols or rifles underwater, but I've yet to find a SHOTGUN shooting under water.
    Is this possible?

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

For many years they have used "shark getters" that are basically a short barreled shotgun. They use a 12 gauge shell. It is dangerous to shoot any gun underwater.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

you can sit on a grenade and pull the pin and wait for it to "hatch" into a goose... prolly not a good idea but you can do it.

same is true with shooting guns underwater. it can be done but like trying to hatch a grenade into a goose its not a wise option for a long and pain free life.

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Go to the Discovery Channel & ask the Mythbusters..............

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I did it! I went to Discovery Channel & ask the Mythbusters, if they can shoot gun/shotgun under water............

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The "shark getter" is also known as a bangstick. have seen them in different calibers. The powerhead has no real length of barrel- the shell blows shot, wad- and GASSES into the shark.

In the case of a shotgun, say a 12 g- the barrel will likely fill with water. When you fire it, you are trying to move the weight of that water AND the weight of the shot. If I did my math right, you have added about 250 grains of weight (12 g w/ 20 inch bbl)

If the barrel is NOT completely filled with water, but there is a bubble of air in the barrel- when the shot hits the water, it will act as a bbl obstruction. BAD ju-ju.

Remember- shotguns are designed for MUCH lower pressures than rifles and pistols.

Now. somewhere on YouTube there will be someone explaining it can be done. The question is: How many times can you do that before it kills you?

7. scarletma

scarletma New Member

I have used "bang sticks many times in the water. The 44 and 223 had no protection from the water and the "barrel was about the same length as the shell. We were told to always use nail polish on cartridge ends, never had a failure. The shotgun shell version was in 12 ga and had a throwaway one use plastic cap so NO water was in barrel or around shell. These were not favored since they did much more damage to the fish. When the 223 fired you did not want to be very close as it is quite an experience to hear and feel it go off. Most are restricted use now and have to be carried on an 18 inch spear I guess due to federal firearms laws.
    As stated above I would never think of firing a rifle or pistol underwater due to the mass of water in front of what is trying to get out of that barrel! Better left to scuba Rambo!

8. c3shooter

Scarlet- you are correct- it would otherwise be a Short Barreled Rifle or Short Barreled Shotgun- but the BATF made an exception for powerheads on the end of the long shaft.

9. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

What are you hunting?

10. GoGlockOrGoHome

GoGlockOrGoHome New Member

Nothing. I've just only seem it done with pistols and rifles.
    Just simply curious..

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

The answer is obviously "not yet: the Glock Model F'nbuoy Shotgun isn't due for release until 2015 perhaps."
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  12. midwestmack

midwestmack New Member

There is a channel on YouTube called demolition ranch. The guy in the videos tests all sorts of gun experiments. I just watched one where he placed just the barrel in only 4 inches of water and fired. The barrel peeled like a banana. DONt DO IT!!! As said before shotgun barrels are not intended for that amount of pressure.

13. c3shooter

BTW, even if you do manage to fire it without doing a "Dynamic Diasassembly" of the shotgun- pellets would travel only a few feet- AND- the shock wave gets transmitted thru the water. Including you if you are in the water. Unpleasant at best. Never used the shotgun bangstick, but have used a 44 Mag bangstick. Ow. Owowowowowowow. Whimper.

14. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As usual, C3 is dead on with his evaluation. Some things to remember: A pistol or rifle is firing a solid projectile sealed against the sidewall of the barrel. A shotgun firing shot has no such seal. This creates a much different pressure situation (problem?) than the pistols/rifles. Everything depends on how much pressure is exerted against the barrel and breach wall at one time. Underwater, this could be different each time.

You may fire it 100 times with no negative result. However, it could cause it to rupture on the first shot if the pressures are wrong. IF I had to do this, for some life-saving reason, I would use the shortest (2-2 1/2") low-base, low-recoil round I could to reduce pressure. The shotgun and the empty shell should also be checked for signs of high pressure after trying this: cracks or bulging in either, backed out or badly cratered primers means the gun needs to be checked by a professional gunsmith.

15. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

air is compressible, water for all practical purposes is not. All that pressure has to go somewhere.

16. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

But the interesting thing here is if the shotgun is completely submerged it is in this 'non compressible' environment! :eek:
    So will the non compressible fluid support the outside of the gun!!!;)

17. tCan

tCan Active Member

my math gives .13 liters, or .13 kg = 2114 grains. This assumes freshwater. Obviously salt water is even heavier.

18. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone got an old shotgun, a tire, a stock tank or pond, a string and is willing to experiment?????:D

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Firing any weapon with a barrel obstruction is an unsafe practice. A 30 inch shotgun barrel filled with 30 inches of water qualifies as obstructed.:eek: