Can You Really Hide It?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by ColColt, Oct 22, 2011.

1. ColColt

ColColt New Member

Is it really possible to carry something like a G30 or Colt Commander IWB and it not print? In the summer with a T-shirt it looks to me it would be next to impossible for it not to print. Winter you could carry about anything due to jackets and coats. I'm 5'-9" and 160 pounds and don't think I cold completely hide either of those, my chosen two even with a Crossbreed Supertuck. I've never tried, just imagining. Even if you put your billfold under your shirt it's going to show.

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

It all depends on the holster, clothing, and individual. I can conceal a full size 1911 in the summer, but I'm 6'4 and I generally wear a hooded vest on top of my shirt or just a shirt with another button shirt on top of it.

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

The point, in my mind isn't always carrying a gun that you can hide in your current wardrobe. Sometimes the answer is building a wardrobe that can hide the gun you want to carry.

For thin guys like me, carrying right at 3 o-clock keeps the butt from sticking out like a shark fin when you bend over. It isn't as comfy as 4 to 5 o-clock, though.

I easily carry a CW45 (full size Kahr) in that location with an untucked t-shirt.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Here in South Florida it's summer all year.

When it comes to hot weather I had to switch to a pocket pistol. (Ruger LCR) It's the only way to carry when wearing a bathing suit and flip-flops.

Any time I am wearing a belt I carry my Browning Hi-Power in a Tommy Theis IWB Holster and it works well.

I agree with Chris, if wearing just a tucked in t-shirt I need to shift the holster up to the 2 or 3 o'clock position so as not to print. If I'm wearing a dress shirt or anything not tucked in I move it back to the 4 or 5 o'clock position.

If you are looking for a great carry rig, take a look at Tommy's holsters.

5. ColColt

ColColt New Member

Those are nice-very reminiscent of the CBST. He certainly has a smorgasbord of models to choose from. I don't think he's missed any manufacturer or model. Is Kydex a hard material? I'm not sure I've seen a holster like this "in the flesh".

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I agree with CHLChris. Dress to fit what you want to carry, not carry to fit how you dress. Of course, that can be easier said than done if you work for someone that has a dress code, etc. That's not why I waited until I retired to carry, but being retired & able to dress anyway I please was a help.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive seen some peeps that could ccw a mk19 grenade launcher and tripod under their belly flap...

just depends on your build and clothing. my colt new agent conceals under light summer clothes just fine.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's relativity flexible but strong enough to securely hold your gun.

I don't find it any harder on the gun's finish than leather.

As far as pricing read this: CC Holsters

9. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

I carry a wilson cqb compact(4.25 in barrell) in a de santis intruder at 3 o clock. Conceals in shorts and a t shirt.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

Attached Files:

10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

nice thing about an open carry state... IT DOESN'T MATTER :)

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I am not a large man, 5-8, 170, (a little gutt) and I have no problem carrying a full size 1911 without printing, even in 100 degree days that are the norm here in summer. You just have to adjust your clothing. Of course I can't wear a tight tee shirt, but a baggy tee, especially a dark colored one works fine. I also wear square cut button up cotton shirts. As much as it goes against my sense of style, I will also wear print shirts that I actually think are tacky. (as does my wife)

The only time I may have been made carrying, that I know of, is when I walked 50 feet into Walmart with my cover garment over the top of my pistol. Embarassing, but even then, as I looked around, I didn't see any funny looks; but who expects a grey haired old man to be packing a .45?

If I tried to carry a bulkier firearm, it would present a bit more of a problem. I haven't tried to carry my 92FS but in a pinch I think I could pull it off. You do have to be willing to spend some money on a decent holster.

I don't consider it a terrible burden to have to dress for carry. The .45 on my hip makes up for it with the comfort it provides.

12. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

You CAN hide a full-sized fighting handgun under summer clothes. I am wearing a pair of cargo shorts and a t-shirt....while hiding a Glock 22RTF in my LEAST concealable holster.

Attached Files:

13. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

That glock 22 is a print master. take a pic from the front with your arms down.(cause you dont walk with your arms up) and tell me that wont print.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

14. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

I carry my Glock 22 with no problem. I wear a supertuck 4-5 o'clock. I have never has an issue with printing.

15. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

When I get dressed tomorrow...I shall.

16. CaptCraig

CaptCraig New Member

One of the easier ways to carry a .45 or any other larger frame semi is to not wear a holster and turn the gun so that the butt faces forward. That way when you sit down you don't get a big bulge pushing your shirt out in back. Also without the holster it rides a little lower and certainly closer to the body.

When I worked undercover, that is the only way I would carry and I was always good. The other thing is to avoid playing pool. It is impossible to shoot pool wearing a gun in the waist or shoulder holster as the bending over always shows the guns outline.

17. Chainfire

I would sure hate to have to run with a gun tucked in my pants without a decent holster, or bend, or stretch for that matter. But, I never worked under cover, though I have done some good work under the covers.

Maybe with industrial strength velcro stuck just below the ribs, but I bet that would itch.

18. Chainfire

A 1911 is thin and tucks in well. Good leather helps.

Attached Files:

19. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

You were a LEO? And you're suggesting Mexican carry? Hmmmmm...

20. dosei

dosei New Member

If you choose to wear clothing fitted that tight, you'll never be able to conceal much of anything except a mouse gun in a smart carry/thunderwear.