Can you mail ammo ?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by brockly, Aug 21, 2013.

1. brockly

brockly New Member

Buddy in Colorado has alot of ammo.

I wanted to know could he mail it to my house in California ?

Could I go get ammo or buy a rifle from him and take it to California ?

2. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

Here in Arizona I can have ammo Mailed to my front door so why not as far as buying a firearm from him make sure it is California state compliant and you should be good

3. spottedpony

spottedpony New Member

USPS regs prohibit sending live ammunition, primers and/or powder. Brass and projectiles can be mailed however.
    Handguns are also prohibited by USPS, and to ship any of the above is a felony.

the freight companies will ship live ammo but you pay the hasmat fee.

4. brockly

brockly New Member

What site do you goto to buy your ammo?

5. string1946

string1946 New Member

Summary:

U.S. Postal Service (USPS) - Shipping ammo is prohibited.
    United Parcel Service (UPS) - Shipping ammo permitted with packaging/weight/labeling qualifications.
    Federal Express (FedEx) - Shipping ammo generally prohibited unless HazMat certified.

Details:

U.S. Postal Service (USPS): Shipping of Ammunition is Prohibited

Ammunition (Cartridges, small arms) is a nonmailable hazardous material. "Under no circumstances may any nonmailable hazardous material, restricted matter, or perishable matter be deposited for mailing."

Publication 52 - Hazardous, Restricted and Perishable Mail
    Cartridges, small arms - Appendix A - Hazardous Materials

United Parcel Service (UPS):

1. Pack ammo within a sturdy cardboard box, gross weight limit of 66 pounds.
    2. Print ORM-D label, cut out and tape to a least one side of box.
    3. Take package to a UPS Customer Center only - NOT at Drop-Off Box, The UPS Store, Mail Boxes etc., Sonic. Might be a good idea to have the UPS Hazardous Material Support Center number with you -- 800-554-9964. Varied success with UPS pick-up at your location.

Per UPS:
    UPS accepts domestic ground shipments of ammunition that have been classified by the shipper as "Cartridges, small arms", "ORM-D" (Other Regulated Material). The package must be properly marked according to the requirements of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR). Contact the Hazardous Material Support Center at 800-554-9964 for details on regulatory information.

Federal Express (FedEx):

Per FedEx, 10/26/2006:
    HazMat Training is required to qualify to ship all Hazardous Materials. Ammunition is a Hazardous Material. No Drop-Off, package must be picked up by FedEx. See How to Qualify.

Additional shipping information and procedures at CartridgeCollectors.org.

Label meets requirements of 49 CFR 172.316.

Attached Files:

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Someone tried to mail me a large-ish quantity of .22 ammo. I never received it and he never had it returned. It's just GONE. Everyone involved was quite disappointed. :(

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Who ever mailed it is lucky they just got disappointed ;)

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Probably be sol when it comes time to renew their license.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Mail (as in Post Office) NO!

Ship by UPS, yes. HAZMAT fees do not kick in until shipment exceeds 66 pounds. Must go UPS GROUND. Take it to a hub, NOT the UPS store.

The regular ORMD label is being replaced. The new one is the hollow diamond, black and white, no letters.

ground_ltd_qty.jpg

Attached Files:

10. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

JG sales.com

11. 1chambered

1chambered New Member

Kentucky gun company

12. DenverSteve

DenverSteve New Member

Handguns are NOT prohibited to be shipped by USPS. We not only do it daily but we have it registered with the USPS. Try not to spread misinformation. There's too much bad info on the internet already. Licensed dealers simply file a USPS form to notify them where the ammo is going.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, a handgun CAN be mailed (as Denver pointed out). However- ONLY a Dealer or Manufacturer can legally MAIL a handgun. A private citizen or collector cannot mail a handgun.

Handguns are RESTRICTED Mailings, not PROHIBITED Mailings.

A private citizen CAN mail an unloaded rifle or shotgun, but not a handgun. It is covered in the Domestic Mail Manual, section 432.1

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

14. natman

natman Member

Not if you have an FFL, but not allowed for mere mortals.

Do you mean "handgun" instead of "ammo"? FFLs can mail HANDGUNS, but not AMMO.

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

UNLESS you are a FFL you are WRONG on both counts----
    You are WRONG on the ammo reguardless--

16. DenverSteve

DenverSteve New Member

I didn't mention ammo, and we are a store (FFL), so I'm not wrong on anything.

17. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I mail handguns through USPS on a weekly basis. Priority Flat Rate with Signature Confirmation.

18. natman

natman Member

AMMO - OK with the Feds as long as he SHIPS it rather than MAILS it. However CA is a crazy quilt of local regulations regarding ammo purchases.

RIFLE - Only legal if it is sent to a CA FFL who will handle the transfer and run a DROS check on you with a 10 day waiting period. Check with your FFL BEFORE the gun is shipped.

19. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

In NJ I have ammo shipped to me all the time. It comes UPS.

20. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It might be confusing to some people as there are different prohibitions, exclusions and requirements for businesses, FFL holders and civilians. Mag-Na-Port in Michigan only needs the top of a pistol (barrel, slide and spring) shipped to them, and suggest sending it through UPS insured. Their website says not to send anything through USPS. However, dealers ship to other dealers all of the time. It's just a minefield of rules to follow and UPS makes it relatively easy when compared to USPS and FedEx.