Firearms Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The man in the middle of this photo is my grandfather. His FIL on the right and his BIL, on the left, seem to be holding Winchesters. But I can't tell what my grandfather is holding. Judging by his third, fourth, and fifth fingers, the rifle would seem to have a finger loop, but it does not have a tubular magazine showing.

Does anybody see any distinguishing shapes?

My grandfather died 18 years before I was born, so I like to dig out details about his life when I can.

Thanks for looking.
Vertebrate Mammal Working animal Art Crew

·
Supporting Member
14,227 Posts
JD
I agree with Notrighty!
Very little doubt Grandfather had one of the 99s! Here is a picture of a Savage 99. I believe they started producing them around 1899. Probably were the got the Model number!
Air gun Trigger Revolver Magenta Wood

·
Supporting Member
14,227 Posts
jd
Just for a little more info they were chambered in 250 Savage or 300 Savage

·
Premium Member
15,289 Posts
Early chamberings were .303 Savage, .32-40 Winchester, .300 Savage, .30-30 Winchester, .25-35 Winchester, .250 Savage, .22 Savage Hi-Power.

Reactions: sheriffjohn

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what year is the photo winchester made a model 88 , I could believe savage or winchester . Winchester 88 came out around 1955 and I can tell you the clips today are pricey .
Photo is about 1923.

Original has three ranch hands to the right. They look like brothers and all have Winchesters. Six hunters, 5 deer and a turkey.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Savage 99-there's something on the lower front of the receiver drawing my attention but can't make it out. That era, 99's had rotary magazines with a small hole in the receiver that revealed a rotating brass dial - let you know how many shells were in the magazine. Barrel, forearm, front sight sure look like a '99.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts