Can you guys help me set a price on a P38?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Cornhusker, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.
    A friend from our Iowa office asked me about this gun that her great aunt wants to sell. The uncle died and the aunt is selling out but doesn't know what to ask for the gun.
    This is a P38 marked AC45 so I think it's a Walther made in 45.
    I asked her about the bore, and while she doesn't know anything about it, she says it looks ok to her.
    I appreciate any help you can give me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

3. chad2

chad2 New Member

omg!!!!!!!!

i just saw a hard shell holster for this gun selling for 400 dollars just in case that gives you an example !!!!!!!!

if it is from ww2 which it looks like it is. i would say a couple thousand

i just read something about it saying that, that ac 45 means it was made from 1942 -1945 and that the price can range from 1000-8000$ unless it has a speial trigger gaurd making it close to 12000$

also ask her what the serial number is. if it is 7356-9671 this means it is a pre war model.

if it is not shootable then it could still go for 1000$ if it is shootable then it could go for 8000$

4. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Guy just had one transferred into my shop, he paid $800 for his & it had those same grips too
    Too bad you aren't in the market for a plain old P-38, I got one of those for $315

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

Oh, I forgot about the holster that comes with it

[​IMG]

and the serial number seems to be 8142 followed by an 'A'

[​IMG]

6. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

I'm pretty sure I can't afford to buy this gun from her.
    I like the sounds of your P38, it's a newer repro?

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

See if she has any papers to go with it. It looks to be the correct stuff for a WWII bring back. If there are any papers, the price goes up. Without papers, $600 - $800 (if everything is functional), and with matching holster, possibly another $100 - $150.

These are guesses. Without having the firearm in hand, it is a little hard to be more accurate.

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Boy you guys are so far off.

Considering P38's are far rarer than P51's or other comparable models, you should be looking at prices in the 6 to 7 million dollar range for one in good working condition.

By the way, what does this have to do with firearms. :confused:

9. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

I'll check on the papers and also I'll see if she has any airplanes in the closet. :)

10. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Close enough to me. Shoot me a pm and I might make a trip a little to the west to take that off her hands.

11. FreedomFighter69

FreedomFighter69 New Member

The low numbered ones are worth more. My dad has one numbered 703 which was made in 1938. His is all original and in very good condition and was approved at $1200.00. However, this doesn't mean he would get that much if it was sold. Usually you get about $700-$800 for one in very good cond.
    You can find some in nice shape though for between $400-$800. The ones with the swastka's are worth more of course but the post war guns are just as good and usually in better condition. Same goes with the Luger's as well.

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

First off, check it closely for an import mark. They can be faint. If there, it's value is affected.

Second, if he brought it home from the war, does he have the capture papers? They add provenance and tremendous value.

Third, it is a Walther (AC denotes Walther) made in 1945. The late war guns are less desirable than the early ones. They are crude, and used substandard materials for expediency, and many have been shown to wear out fast.

The soft shell holsters are more common than the hard shell holsters, thus much less valuable.

With a good bore that pistol/holster combo is in the $600-$650 range, UNLESS the capture papers are found.

13. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I forwarded them on to her.

14. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

Without further research...&

Drawing from memory...(I need to consult my Whalter book) you may have a
    rare one indeed. BUT, in 1945 the bulk of the 23000 P-38's produced were
    made by "svw" like the one I own with a (questionable capture letter). The
    svw 1945 Whalters slides were made from "bar stock" & feature a slight
    green phosphate finish overall rather than a black finish & feature black grips.
    It has a low 3number & 1 letter serial # with nazi proofmarks & all matching
    #'s on it's parts! I suggest that you "keep digging" for more info...& even if it
    turns out that you have a nice (plain Jane model), last month @ the Spokane
    WA gunshow the minimum price for one was $500.!:)

15. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

If it was the P38 that shot down Isoroku Yamamoto it is worth even more.

16. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

007 are you talking about...

Airplanes? (I thought we were talking about german handguns)?;)

17. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

Yes I was replying the P 38 v P 51 quote.

18. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

DO'H! ScottA was the primary offender here!

But, speaking of airplanes...If given a choice after winning the lottery. I
    would love to own & fly either plane! The "fork tailed devil" as the germans
    called the p-38 & the p-51 was the fastest "piston-slapper" ever in it's day
    to challenge the me-262 jet! As an avation buff, I built my share of revell &
    airfix models as a kid & have seen my share of airshows! And, yes...I have
    been a passenger in many types of aircraft, but have "yet" to pilot one
    myself...even though I have operated every type of land based vehicles!:D

19. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

"In it's day" is pretty unnecessary when describing those aircraft. Over 60 years later, those aircraft are still considered the pinnacle of propeller driven technology. There have been a few engineers which have tried to come up with designs that fly faster, but no one has really succeeded yet. Still to this day, the fastest air-racers in the world fly P-51's and their contemporaries.

I always think of the words of a Blue Angel pilot I heard interviewed... I've flown some of the most advanced aircraft in the world. Whenever I'm around other pilots, no matter what country or what they fly, when you ask what is the aircraft we all want to fly, the overwhelming answer is the P-51 Mustang.

Sorry for the hijack... :eek:

20. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

Scott A

You hit on one of my other interests & YES, (on my "bucket list" is the desire
    to pilot or at least be a passenger in a 2 seat version of a P-51)! I have been
    "up close to a P-51 to take pictures" at airshows as well! In Big Bear CA the
    warbirds made a fall tour when we had a vacation home there & I never
    missed the event! I have enjoyed rides in many types of aircraft as well, but
    not in a "vintage" one or "piloted one" yet! I even spent a year working for
    unitech composits @ the cda airport when between long term jobs as a
    machinist & I will never forget the stink of "pro-seal"!:eek: