Can you clean too much ?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by MobileMarine, Sep 13, 2011.

1. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I have enough guns to keep a professional shop busy for a solid week in cleaning . I dont shoot them all but I do like to take them out every few months and clean them even if they had not been shot , mainly just a good oiling . Will too much or too often cleaning and or oiling harm the finish in any way ? I also give the holsters weather they are leather or synthetic a good coat of oil , will the oil harm the holsters ? or should I use somthing different ?
    Also taking a bit of interest making some hand made pistol grips for a few of mine , where is a good source for small quantities of fine or exotic wood ?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm working on some handmade grips right now for my pistol, and don't know anything about "exotic" woods but there are some beautiful woods that aren't considered exotic and are very nice. A friend of mine hooked me up with a few gorgeous pieces of poplar.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I googled exotic wood and many companies sell it in small amounts. Oiling your guns to much can do some harm- you do not want to oil soak the wood and the oil will creep from the metal to the wood - some oils will harden or congeal in spots that could cause you grief later- to much oil in the chamber can put undo pressure on the bolt face as the brass can not grip the chamber walls.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I know of an old Colt SA that went from 90% to 60% due to excessive cleaning. That was a lot of lost value before he learned his lesson.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Use an oil designed for the holsters on holsters.

An occasional wipe down of the firearms should suffice once the weapon has been cleaned after firing.

6. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Will the holster oil keep the fire arms from rusting ? I have spent most of my money on guns with no real place to put them and the amount i have is just stupid . Guns that I carry are the worst ones , they may go a few weeks in the truck holstered and starting to rust a bit , hence why I oil the holsters too . Most of them are don hume but I do have some old timers that are starting to flake and peel some

7. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

I don't have much input on the rest, but Woodcraft stores (or woodcraft.com) carry a pretty good selection of hardwoods and laminates.

8. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Conventional wisdom says:

1 - Do not store firearms in leather holsters

why?

a - leather absorbs moisture which may lead to corrosion
    b - chemicals used to tan leather may lead to corrosion

9. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

as Roscoguy stated try woodcraft or a rockler store if you have them in your area,, they both have some exotic species.. What kinds are you looking for ??

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if you are keeping a pistol in your truck for extended periods of time, try some the silicone impregnated gun socks, or maybe a nylon gun case. i keep my pistol in a carry case under the seat and take it out at least once a week and wipe it down with a silicone rag made for guns. just an idea.

11. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I made the mistake of leaving some ak mags in the side box with some tannerite . Big mistake , Im not sure if it was the aluminum power or the nitrate but it destroyed those poor mags