can you checker a laminate stock yourself?

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Franklin1995, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a boyds laminate stock for my Marlin XL7. I know I want checkering on it, but I've been wanting to try checkering a stock myself, and the tools would be almost the same price as it would be to have boyds checker it themselves. I just had surgery and have am going to have alot of time on my hands for the next few months while I recover and then prepare to ship out to boot camp. Does anyone know if you can checker your own laminated stock, or would it mess up the finish on it? Thanks in advance

Franklin

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out Brownell's. they sell the tools needed to do checkering plus books on doing the checkering. but also know that checkering is more an art than just a skill. if it were me, i'd find some wood scraps of some sort to practice on before attempting to do a stock.

i have a Boyd's laminated stock i bought for my XS7 and they all come finished. if you checker it, then it would needed to be resealed after finishing the checkering. my suggestion is once you commit yourself to checkering it would be to sand the entire stock down to remove the finish, do the checkering pattern, then refinish the stock with some sort of stain or sealer to seal it.

BTW, i am pleased with my Boyd's on my Marlin XS7 andit was my second one. they are top notch laminated stocks and decently priced.

3. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

I was already planning on practicing on scraps before working on a real stock. And I kinda figured I'd have to reseal it afterwards. That almost seems like a waste of purchasing a laminated stock just to refinish it later. But i'm glad that you like your boyd's stock. That definitely reassured me of my choice. Thanks Axxe

Franklin

4. Axxe55

Boyd's does offer some of their stocks unfinished, i am just not sure if they offer one unfinished for the X7 series or not.

contact Boyd's. they are also a vendor here on this forum as well. they may be able to sell you one if requested that is unfinished. i am thinking another member here did request a certain style of stock from them and wanted it unfinished and they sent him one. wouldn't hurt to ask them.

if so, then you would just finish it once you did the checkering to it.

5. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

I tried checkering myself quite a few years ago. It is possible but it has a pretty steep learning curve. I learned that while I enjoy building stocks, I'd rather watch paint dry than have to checker them...;)

Seriously, you may love it, or not. Its all personal preference.

6. Axxe55

Franklin, i went on their website and if a stock is finished for $10 you can request it to be unfinished.

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I always buy all my Boyd's stocks unfinished. I don't care for the finish they put on them,and I also like to shape them to fit my hands/fingers perfectly.

8. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Alright thank you guys for the info! I'm gonna have to save up a little bit more and then buy this thing

9. MaineMan

MaineMan New Member

I got a tour of the factory here in Maine that produces the laminated stocks for Ruger and Mossberg and was able to see how they are made. I don't see why you couldn't checker them, but it may not turn out like regular wood because of the sheets of laminate used to produce them. I don't remember seeing any checkered stocks on display and have never seen one checkered.

10. Axxe55

Boyd's offers checkering on their stocks as an option. most checkering done now on rifle stcoks is done by pressing it into the grain of the wood, not by cutting like is done with checkering tools. cutting checkering into wood stocks is usually reserved to custom made rifles with high dollar wood stocks. it usually costs quite a bit due to the amount of work and time involved.

11. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I have a nef ultra slug 20 ga that has a laminated stock and it has pretty nice checkering on its stock from the factory, I'll snap some pics of it after while.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

12. jimmyp7162

jimmyp7162 New Member

Check out Richards microfit stocks. Beautiful laminates and all are unfinished. Not saying Boyd's is not top notch... Just something else to consider.

By the way, I've seen some laser engraving on laminates that were dynamite. Might be going that route as we do own a laser engraver.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

13. bradam

bradam Member

I have had some laser engraving done on my ar lowers. The same fellow does engraving on wood and said he could do checkering on one of my handguns. I saw some of his work and it looks good. You may want to look into this process.