Can you buy a muzzle loader online and ship it to your house?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by KnifeLife, Nov 8, 2012.

1. KnifeLife

KnifeLife New Member

is it legal in Indiana

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

GENERALLY no. i could be wrong but off the top of my head. its a firearm and must be sent to an FFL, regardless of state you reside in. but again, idk for sure

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Are you a laywer? Do you know IN laws? I think neither.....

Typically a muzzle loader or black powder gun is not recognized by the ATF and doesn't not require an FFL. However, I do not have a law degree and I do not claim to know your local laws. Call the local LEO office and see what they say. You could also check with local firearms dealers.

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

It is NOT a firearm.

It can be shipped to your residence.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

your local leo will be clueless on the issue. contact your state attourney general office. they will be able to tell you. federal rules say its not a firearm for buying purposes.

6. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

In a number of states a fellon can own a muzzle loader and hunt with it.With the new breed muzzle loaders those laws may change. Many states do not consider them primative weapons and out lawed them for hunting.You definately want to check you own state laws because they are so different from state to state.

7. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Many years ago U.P.S. brought mine to my home, :)
    and I am in ca.:eek:

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Ask the company your ordering and shipping from!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Do none of you think that the people who's livelihood depends on the business wouldn't know the laws regarding their business?

Have y'all never seen the disclaimer "will not ship to CA, MD, or MA?"

Your AG would be a great source of info, but for this situation in particular, the seller/shipper is VERY likely to know whether or not they can ship to your door.

Edited: to add, it's very likely it can be shipped to your door.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Well, I am in MS, but i have had two shipped to my office from Traditions and a matched pair of 1858 Remington NMA replicas shipped to the office from an individual in NY. I am not currently in chains.

Read the yellow boxes on the Cabela's link: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home...ctLoad;cat104792580;cat104701680;cat109621980

also from Cabelas.

http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=GunRestrictions&WTz_l=Footer

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  10. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

In my state it is legal to ship a BP rifle, pistol, or other muzzle loading implement right to your front door with no questions asked. This is all I know as I am not going to be named in a law suite when you get in trouble because you took the legal advice of some dude off the interwebz with a Law Degree from Tony Tiger.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Dig'em class of 95. ;)

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A side note- while in SOME states a felon may possess a muzzleloader (under Federal law a caplock, matchlock flintlock etc are not firearms)- pay attention to IN LINE type muzzleloaders. Many of these use 209 Shotshell primers.

Under FEDERAL LAW a convicted felon may not possess AMMUNITION. #11 percussion caps are not ammunition. 209 shotshell primers ARE ammunition, and may not be possessed. In ANY state.

13. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

Which posses a question above my head is a inline muzzle loader with out the primers a fire arm or is it a fire arm since it can use the 209 primers.The whole reason a muzzle loader can be shipped to your door in most or all places is if it is consdidered a fire arm.
    Al though a fellon owning or useing a muzzle loader is a little off the topic. It applies because of what is condidered a firearm. I would personaly take a few minutes to make a couple phone calls just to cover my rear end before I ordered one to my door.Chances are its legal but you never know with so many laws conflicting state to state and state to federal.

14. So, if you "could be wrong" - what's the point? If you don't know or can't give accurate information - why bother to respond?

15. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Here is some info from NAA on their black powder guns.

We are unable to ship black powder handguns to the following states and municipalities: New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, Washington state, Michigan, Annapolis or Baltimore, MD, Montgomery County, MD, Washington, D.C., Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Chicago, IL, Cook Cty., IL, Evanston or Cicero IL, Delaware, San Francisco, Santa Ana, Berkeley, Tiburon, Carson, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Oakland, CA, nor Orange, Marin, Loyo, Contra Costa, Ventura, Napa counties in CA. Illinois buyers must have FOID card.

16. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter