Can you build a hamdgun?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by SmithKid308, Sep 20, 2011.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Can you build a hand gun like you can build an Ar?

2. Bushman

Bushman Member

The 1911 is probably one of the most buildable of all handguns that I know of.
    Here's a LINK to a 1911 build project I found to be informative and interesting.

3. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Before you can build a hamdgun you need good ham. ;)
    [​IMG]

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

LMAO!! I seen the misspelling and was thinking something similar smartass to say.Im sitting here drinking a cup of coffee and almost spit coffee everywhere when i read ur comment..

5. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

What about a 9mm like a glock type pistol

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Brownells is an excellent place to look for building a 1911.they have a catalog thts nothing but 1911 everything.I Used them for all of my 1911 parts,hell i use them for everything. U can just buy a slide and frame kit and build it from the floor up if u want too..

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

U can switch out all the internals on a glock with titanium or stainless steel parts but its still gonna b the same glock. U wont get the visual "aaaww" tht a customized 1911 will get u.. In order to make a glock look a lil more customized u will have to send it off and get some slide engraving of some sort done to it..

8. 1982flh80

1982flh80 New Member

Hamgun?

Now I've heard everything. Handguns made from wood, cardboard even a bar of soap. But ham? What caliber would you chamber it? 44 Magma? Just kidding.

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Now thts taking the phrase "carrying a hog leg" a little to literal...LOL

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Our "Fast and Furious" entity of the US government (read BATF) can answer that question.

I don't know if you can, but I know you may build one for yourself.

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

It will b chambered for the .357pig.....hahaha

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Serious reply- yes, you may make a firearm for YOUR OWN USE in the US. Not for sale. If it is a Class III (short barreled whatever, destructive device) it must be licensed FIRST. You cannot build a full auto.

If you wanted to, you can take a block of steel, a really sharp pocket knife, and whittle yerself a derringer. If it ENTERS THE STREAM OF COMMERCE, you need a manufacturer's FFL.

The Hamdgun might be a .38 Blue Plate Special, a Sig-Sausage, or a 9mm Sauerbrauten. There WAS a real revolver shortly after the Civil War in an obsolete caliber- the rimfire .25 Bacon & Bliss. But if I said more, I'd just be egging you on.

:p

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

LMAO!!! Thts great

14. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

:( I hoped this was about a gun that shoots ham.

Yes. You can build a handgun. There are some videos on youtube of a guy who builds functioning handguns out of paper based products. I know a guy in Tennessee who can build a gun out of pretty much anything. And I'm reasonably certain there are customizable DIY kits for any type of gun.

15. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

hmmm, a gun that shoots ham...
    I offer this, only because I can't find a cannon using ham as a projectile.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtfmmYZhJyU]Exploding Ham.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

16. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Yes, yes...bacon & bliss. :D

17. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

that was a good laugh:D, the whole thread, C3 especially:), informative...and funny

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

on the easy scale from 1 being building a AR15 from parts and 10 building a 30mm gatling gun to sling under an A10... building a handgun from scratch is maybe a 3. it depends on which gun your looking to part together most require minor to major fitting to get the parts to work.

unless your whittling the frame itself from scratch you will still need to have it properly signed for as the frame is generally the ffl item.

a lot of diy handgunners do the build it yourself blackpowder kits of one sort or another as a starting point.

its not as economically viable to part together your own pistol as it is for an AR15. it usually coss more to part together say a glock xdm 1911 or sig than just buying one already built.

19. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I think tht the best thing for u to do is just buy the make and model tht u want then customize it to ur liking