Can you believe even Craftsman hand tools are made in china now?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Gh0zt36, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

I was just talking to a friend and hes replacing his dishwasher and we got talkin bout tools and craftsman came up and I said its probably chinese junk just jokin around .

So I looked it up and to my dismay I was right . Craftsman hand tools are made in freakin china now yet theyre still fetching top dollar????? Crazy I bought a pretty good set in 2004 so I went to look and thank goodness my set is all USA made . I better not break any of them or eles Ill have to exchange it for that junk *** chines crap . I read even snap-on is outsourcing to china now and thats top of the line pro shops use =O . God I hate the new world.

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I've started buying old tools (unless it's a power tool). A lot of the time, they are much higher quality, and can be much cheaper. If you don't mind putting a little elbow grease into them to clean them up, they can be even cheaper. Ebay is a great place to look. Shipping can sometimes be a pain though.

Note: I'm talking about woodworking tools, but the same can probably be said for mechanics tools as well.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012

3. PC167

PC167 New Member

That's why I go to harbor freight to buy my tools... Before you take a baseball bat to my knees hear me out... I'm not a professional mechanic, so I don't need high quality tools and craftmans expensive as well . The way I figure, if the tool breaks I get another one cheap. :-D

Don't judge me! :p

4. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Is Craftsman still guaranteed for life?

5. rurak

rurak New Member

Yes craftsman tools are guaranteed for life. I would rather buy something guaranteed

6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Great. The financial apocalypse is near.

7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Anyone who thinks craftsman is "top dollar" has never stepped foot on the Snap-On truck.

8. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

+1 or a matco truck I actually prefer matco swivel sockets. They don't have the ring that snap on has...better for tight spots.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  9. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

Most hand tools sold anywhere come with a lifetime guarantee. Look on your set of wrenches from harbor, they will most likely say so. The thing about craftsman is you can walk into your local sears and swap it out. Other cheaper tools you have to send in. You are paying for convenience.

10. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Not any more. The last time I took some tools to sears to get them replaced, a 1/4in ratchet and 1/2 extension that I snap in half. I thought I would just get two new ones and walk out, nope I got a refurbished ratchet. And they had to send me my extension away I guess to there HQ. and mail me a new one two weeks later.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Craftsman made what i call very good general purpose tools. and i have many of them and they have served me well over the years. but in my line of work, i use Snap-On, Mac and Matco tools. they make tools for people who use their tools day in and day out, have to use their tools to make a living, and cheap ill fitting tools just won't cut it. my tools are used and abused daily. plus the tool trucks come to the jobsite, and Sears doesn't!

12. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I love my harbor freight pro hand tools, they have a life time warranty! :D

13. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Well I meant top dollar as in what they used to charge for the made in the USA craftsman and I hate to break the news pal but tool around online < pun intended > Not ALL snap-on are made in the USA anymore either.

14. PC167

PC167 New Member

So far never had any problems with them.

15. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Just wanted to add all Coleman products are now made on China as well. DO NOT BUY FROM CHINA PLEASE!

16. primer1

NOT! Most, not all. I just bought a Coleman dual fuel camp stove, made in USA.

17. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

N.A.F.T.A is the real enemy to the American economy.

18. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I wish I could find some of these... :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Ah sorry, I was at wally world lookin at camping stuff an fire starters and they all had China stamped on the front. Either way I'm not buying

20. primer1

No offense taken. It is the only Coleman product I could find that was US made.