Can you add something to a AR-15 stock handguard

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Uptown_General_Roc, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Uptown_General_Roc

Uptown_General_Roc New Member

Is there anyway I can add a light, bipod, laser or foregrip to my stock handguard?

Attached Files:

2. TurboMike

TurboMike New Member

TBH, I wouldn't bother. I wanted to add a foregrip to my AR. You can pick up a good nice handgyard from Magpul. They offer the M-Lok and it works well.

3. Uptown_General_Roc

Uptown_General_Roc New Member

I don't want to struggle with putting it on but I guess that's what I will do, Thanks!

4. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Its stupid easy to change out. Seriously.

5. TurboMike

TurboMike New Member

Both the standard hand guard and the replacement are two piece. They can be replaced without messing around with the barrel nut and the gas system.

6. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

I put grips on my hand guard. Tried it out and decided to take them off. I had a quad rail to begin with. Didn't like it took it off and replaced with a magpul. Satisfied with that for now. If I change anything again it will probably be a complete upper with key mod rail. You can pick one up today from PSA with their July fourth sale for less than $300 shipped.

7. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

There are some companies offering quad rail handguards that are two piece that you will not even have to remove the barrel or gas block to install. If you are going that route, you might want to get a handguard removal tool for leverage. Try taking off the milspec handguards without any mechanical assistance. If you don't have a problem doing that, then you should be good to go without any tools.

8. fickenmeimirish

fickenmeimirish New Member

I agree with everyone else, i would just change the handguards, it is easy. But to answer your question, yes you can, no picture on hand, but i attached a rail to the bottom of the handguard when i first bought my rifle, before buying a magpul, and then a yankee hill free float

9. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I honestly don't recommend mounting anything using the holes in the top or bottom of milspec handguards. Those holes are for ventilation to cool off the barrel, and if you have an occasion to rapid fire, the barrel can get hot really quick. That said, a lot of people mount a small M1913 rail to the bottom handguard for a vertical grip or bipod. Just remember to leave enough holes open to dissipate heat.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015