Can you add a Bayonet to a Gas Block?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by synical, Jul 5, 2011.

1. synical

synical New Member

I have a S&W AR-15 Flat top is there a way to add a bayonet to this weapon because it does not have the A2 front site?

Attached Files:

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

depends on the diameter of you barrel. you will also need a A2 or A1 flash hider or equivelent to mount a bayonet. AR-15/M16 GAS BLOCK - Brownells

there are other versions thats just a quick google search

scroll down a bit to: 100-003-172
    Single-Rail Gas Block w/Lug & Swivel
    Mfr. Part: YHM9836A

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

3. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Tried looking for one, couldn't find anything. You could buy a flip up front sight by Yankee Hill.

Therese always duck tape :D

4. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

5. synical

synical New Member

Actually I have Magpul flip ups! lol

6. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Not bad folding iron sights, but if you want your bayonet, I think your going to have to get a whole new gas block set up. I can't find a bayonet lug that slaps onto a rail.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You left out the important area. Why not post a quality picture of the gas block and forward to the muzzle...

8. synical

synical New Member

How is this? Is this better?

Attached Files:

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I have a question. Why have a front MBUS and not have a rear sight? Have you shot it w/ the MBUS on the raild GB?

10. synical

synical New Member

I have a magpul flip up on the rear too. my scope has a quick disconnect so its easy to get to the flip ups!

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yes, better. And it appears to tell the story: 16" barrel, right? Carbine length gas? If so, even if you had a bayonet lug a bayonet wouldn't fit. You'd need 14.5" with carbine gas or 16" with midlength. Try an M7 or M9 and you'll see it wouldn't line up. Maybe you can figure out a jerry rig but a proper positioned lug isn't gonna help.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I see it now, can barely make out the nut on the left side of the sight. Is there any room between the optic and MBUS?

13. synical

synical New Member

yeah there is a little room between the mbus! I Looked up several on youtube before I went with it but it seems to work well with the two. And Quentin thanks for the info. Its not a big deal if I cant put a bayonet on the rifle just wondered if I could. And yes your right its 16".

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah that's why I wanted to see a picture of the muzzle end, I didn't want you to go to all the trouble of replacing the gas block then find out the bayonet wouldn't fit anyway. Unless you cut off 1.5" of the barrel which presents all kinds of issues. If you really, really wanted to put a bayonet on it you'd need some kind of lug mounted in front of the gas block.

I did mount an M7 on mine, looked at it a minute then took it off. Same with my AK. Not much use for bayonets anyway, they've been next to obsolete since WWI. But they're cheap and not a bad thing to have in the closet. :D

15. synical

synical New Member

yeah and too like anyone is ever really gonna use it!