Can we knock it off with the "Convince Me" Threads

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by g17frantz, May 25, 2012.

1. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

So yea.....like the title says. Is this not annoying to anyone else? No stab at any individual but for real, this drives me crazy.
    I'm all for helping and yucking it up with you guys but give it a rest.
    I'm gonna start posting, "Convince me to take a shower" or "convince me to not poop in the refrigerator".
    I'm annoyed today and this is my rant.

2. 94browninghunt

94browninghunt New Member

never seen any of those threads much anywhere, but i think if anyone asks "convince me to not poop in refrigerator" thats pretty hilarious, id probably give 'em sarcastic answer

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I'm not gonna care about a guy's bathing habits on the internet, but on the other hand I would like to know where the commode/refrigerator is located as I have to take a dump.

4. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Convince me to not create a "convince me thread". :p

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Yeah, the gun vs gun and caliber vs caliber stuff gets pretty old. Especially since most of it has been asked before. People, please try using the FTF search bar before asking a vs question.

Oh, and you shouldn't poop in the fridge because it will make you foot taste s$%tty. :D

6. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

That will never go away. It's posted every day on every gun forum...even 'tho we know the 30.06 is superior to the .308....the .40 SW is the best choice for a defensive pistol cartridge....a Rem. Model 700 will not accidentally discharge...the Beretta 92 got a bad rap due to inferior French steel...Kimber stinks...everyone should own a Ruger .22 semi auto...and Glocks are butt ugly:D

7. KalashnikovBlood

KalashnikovBlood New Member

I feel the same way my good man, what is the point of posting a convince me thread? We aren't going to change a mind that's already made up. IMHO it's just to piss people off, I have seen a few "convince me I should get an AK" threads and no avail to anyone that tried to convince the op.

8. texaswoodworker

I agree with everything you said except for the thing about .40 S&W being the best SD caliber. :p

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Okay, here's another point of view. I am still learning about guns and calibers, etc. I can see how the 'convince me' threads are annoying but I learn from them. I look at it as more than 'convince me'. It's more of a 'educate me'.

10. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

'convince me' :p

11. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Seconded. My biggest issue isn't with a 'this is better', but with the self proclaimed 'experts' who, after you read on their posts for a while, you realize are simply claiming some level of competence.
    I find it unfair to those who are new to firearms, and may be taken in by them.
    Those who have expertise are a great boon to those wanting to learn. They just have to leave the childish bickering to the children. And it'd be nice if they disclosed whether they actually have any hands on experience with the weapon they are bashing.

12. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I con vince out of $20 bucks, once.

13. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

That "weapon" versus "gun" versus "firearm" crap gets old too. Please convince me why we should give a $*it if someone gets their shorts in a knot over someone's use of terminology. I think we all know by now what they are talking about when they use one of these words, and I don't care what your drill instructor once said.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+1 BL

Let's just base our discussions on fact, not ego.

15. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Convince me its not......lol

16. M0L0NLAB3

M0L0NLAB3 New Member

17. texaswoodworker

Ok then. A large, slow moving round will do a lot more damage to whatever it his than a small, fast moving one will.

All of the following ballistics are for Federal JHPs.

A 124 gr 9mm bullet will travel at about 1180 fps. This could cause over penetration.

A 180 gr .40 S&W bullet will travel at about 1000 fps. This is good, and will get the job done.

A 230 gr .45 ACP bullet will travel at about 850 fps. This will devastate whatever it hits.

:p :p :p :p

Here's the site I got the info from. It's pretty cool.

http://www.ballistics101.com/45_acp.php

18. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Convince and educate are two different requests.

I can educate you on the the differences between say 9 mm & .40 S&W. This implies that I have no bias and just want to provide the the required information you need to make your own decision.
    Whether I should convince you as to what is best for you is an entirely different question.

19. winds-of-change

So......at Federal JHP in 9mm will over penetrate?

20. winds-of-change

True. When reading the 'convince me' threads, I glean out what is opinion and what is facts and stats.