Can We Get Old Posts/Discussions Locked?

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by Triumphman, Oct 12, 2017 at 7:51 PM.

1. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

With all the new(er) firearms enthusiasts signing up, I'm noticing some old posts being answered/returning from many years ago.

I get excited that some posts come up that I'm able to answer, just to find that the original post was from 1 to 4 or more years back by its initial date.

Can staff lock up these old posts from 6 months and older from returning from the dead? I'm sure by 6 months that the thread has been answered, but new people don't see the original date.

Is this asking for too much to keep it current?

Del

2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

if the topic is still relevant, i don't see any need to lock an old thread up.

besides wouldn't a Moderator or Administrator have to go through all threads to see how old they were? seems like a huge waste of someone's time and energy.

67stingray, SRK97, locutus and 5 others like this.

3. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

It wouldn’t be too hard to write a script or routine to lock threads after a certain period of inactivity. But there are some old threads that are still relevant, and occasionally if the topic is something like, has anybody got any experience with, insert whatever just got to market, the thread might get a few noncommittal replies, because no body has any real input, and go dormant. A year or two later, it may be obvious that the thing is either great or terrible.

67stingray, SWSinTN and Dallas53 like this.
  4. Dallas53

i have seen threads on other forums that were sort of ho hum when started, then months later go like gangbusters with everyone making replies.

phideaux and SWSinTN like this.
  5. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

We can lock threads that go dormant, but we don't generally do so. Old thread resurrections can be entertaining at times (oldest I've seen was from about 2007). And as several have pointed out, sometimes old threads come back to life due to renewed interest. And the older posts provide a useful part of the history of the topic.

At this point, we don't plan on a widespread culling of old threads. Is there a meaningful purpose in doing so?

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I agree 100% !.................

7. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Active Member

I have learned things from old threads. But then there is some that can be annoying. Like is this a good deal on something that was bought 6 years ago lol.

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

We are here to share information and learn about firearms. Those threads may be old to us but to someone just joining, that particular "old" thread may be exactly what he is looking for.

The only old threads that bother me are ones where someone has said several years ago something like he was going to buy a new gun in the next few weeks and asks for suggestions. We KNOW that guy bought a new gun several years ago but someone now posts with a suggestion to a thread 5 years old.

phideaux, AZdave, 303tom and 3 others like this.
  9. youngridge

youngridge Member

Knowledge is power.....keep em open. But I understand the frustration....have noticed myself quoting the OP on a bumped thread only to check and see it was posted years ago..

303tom and Dallas53 like this.
  10. Austin

Austin Administrator Staff Member

We don't have a no necroposting rule. We prefer to keep the information categorized to a single thread if possible. If that means bumping old threads then so be it.

11. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

OK, you all have answered my question and most would like to keep old threads alive. Fair enough.

Del

303tom likes this.
  12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't understand what the irritation is with the old post. A question and answer that was important 2 years ago could still be a point of continuing discussion today. The only reason it returns from the grave is someone was searching for an answer.

I know that I never look at the date of a post.

SRK97, Dallas53, 303tom and 2 others like this.
  13. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I don't either, I click on new post and go from there.
    Don't often check what forum either, if it is in "new post" it's fair game.

Dallas53 and 303tom like this.
  14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

15. Dallas53

Amen and Hallelujah! :)

some posts maybe should die a quick death, like someone trying to make a decision on buying something and it being resurrected years later. well, they either bought it, or hey didn't!

but many of even the older threads may still have some relevant advice for those who are searching for information. or there may be some improvements or updates that may be important in regards to what was originally posted in the thread years before.

and i'll be honest, i sometimes like reading some of the older threads, because there is still lots of good information for many things in them.

16. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

My opinion. Don't lock old threads.
    I like to reactivate "Glock Leg Syndrome" thread every time I find a new one.

The only problem might be a poster that doesn't read the thread before posting "My safety is between my ears" or "My safety is my finger" or crap like that. :)

Dallas53 likes this.
  17. Danoobie

Danoobie Active Member

Many folks don't seem to notice the origin dates of posts. Could we
    possibly mark a necro-thread with an Icon? Pick a set time period,
    such as 6 months or a year, and have the Icon appear automatically,
    in all the posts?

18. Austin

Austin Administrator Staff Member

If it's valid then, it's valid now. There is no point in having multiple threads on the same topic.

KG7IL and Dallas53 like this.
  19. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

Oh darn, if I'da seen this post before I quit the "Wanted" thread, I surely would have used it against you in regard to discontinuing the T. Trail. :D