Can the S & W MP 15-22 be converted

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by KHickam, May 16, 2012.

1. KHickam

KHickam Member

I was just curious - back in the day - when the USAF bases did not necessarily have ranges to shoot the M-16 they had a conversion kit to make it shoot 22 LR. I was pretty sure all they changed was the magazines and the BCG.

Could you easily take an MP 15-22 and by adding an upper assembly with the appropriate BCG, mag, and barrel if necessary make it into a rifle capable of shooting 5.56?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

No. While the lower can use standard ar15 trigger assemblies there is no buffer tube for the bolt carrier to ride in.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Nope. Dimensions are wrong. Won't fit.

4. Fixer

Fixer New Member

better to go with a cheap M&P15 Sport and then buy a used Ciener kit (like the Airforce kits you speak of.)

5. KHickam

KHickam Member

Thanks for the info

Still debating - narrowed my choices down to the DPMS Oracle rifle or Mini-14 tactical - want a rifle that is 5.56 capable and is a proven battle design - AR 15 accuracy - but relability I think has the Mini-14 in there too

Gonna pull the trigger in a couple weeks either way - just thought if the MP 15-22 could be changed out it would have been a plus to the AR system

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Hickman,
    I do not prefer the brand of AR mentioned although a good AR is a good AR! The AR rifles are much more versatile and accurate than the Minis. Not that the Minis are bad rifles! I do not imply that because they are good little combat rifles. I prefer the AR over the Mini regarding the speed and ease of Magazine Changes, Accuracy, Optics applications and there are a million options with the AR regarding add on equipment. And availability of almost anything under the sun.

7. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

IMO the mini-14 is not what you are looking for. From talking w/ guys who run minis they take a lot of work and time to reach AR like performance.

What type of shooting are you planning on doing?

8. KHickam

KHickam Member

I have a good familiarity with the AR and variants (I carried and qualified with one for 20 yrs) There are pluses and minuses to it - it is accurate, reasonable reliable (yes seen torture tests, but I had lots of experience clearing jams in this rifle over the years) and there are lots of accessories and I like the ease of magazine changes - so it is in my opinion a good system

Mini 14 - When I was a police officer this was our patrol rifle and it worked great - my father had M1s (both the carbine and Garand) and I never seen the things fail to go off (not that they can't fail, I just don't remember one) being a lefty I like the safety on the gun - but I know it is not the most accurate rifle out there. I just am not convinced for what I want it for 1 MOA is necessary over a gun that is reasonably accurate 2 or 3 MOA and goes bang more reliably - but magazine changes take a little more getting used too

This is a gun for recreational shooting and defending myself if it ever comes down to that.

9. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Why would you want to settle if this firearm may potentially be used for defense? Does Lance Armstrong ride a huffy? I just don't see, well it's just my family a mini-14 is good enough as a responsible answer.

From reading your last post I'm picking up that you're probably older. "When I WAS a police officer..." and "reasonable reliable." There's a reason departments and other .gov agencies do not use or have gone away from the mini 14 and are now using ARs. Reliability USED to be an issue and is only an issue at this time if you go w/ certain manufacturers or if lighening happens to strike.

10. KHickam

KHickam Member

Older well if you call 47 yrs - Old? Will the mini-14 shoot well enough to put 10 rds in a torso target at 300m? If the answer is yes - that is all the accuracy I need - I hunt with Blackpowder flintlock rifles - this is a rifle to use for bad guys- not prairie dogs.

Maybe in the last 8 yrs since I retired from the USAF - the guns have changed but I carried the GAU 5A for alot of years and Not everytime - but during qualification it wasn't unheard of to have to clear a jam. During my time in a HFZ, I did not have lots of confidence in the gun

On the other hand - I remember firing my dad's M1s and never had a problem.

In case you missed it - I am left handed - I shoot left handed and the controls are the AR are not the easiest to manipulate whereas the safety on the Min 14 really is.

IE - Magazine changes AR - I have to take my support hand bring it back hit the mag release get a new mag and put it in - then I have to move my strong hand off of the pistol grip to hit the paddle to release the bolt, to chamber a round, and return my strong hand back to the pistol grip before engaging the target.

Mini -14 - Again I have to use my support hand to hit the mag release, insert a mag, but then all I have to do is move that same hand up and slap the bolt to chamber and round and I am ready to go. My strong hand never has to leave the pistol grip or stock and therefore is quicker to engage the target.

Safety - AR 15 - I have to use the trigger finger of my strong hand to sweep the safety offand sometimes this requires me to reposition my hand on the pistol grip and sometimes disengaging the safety is difficult.

Mini 14- Easy click on and off with my trigger finger.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  11. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Older not old :)

Firearms that come out of the arms room are not good sources to base opinions on. Most armorers are just like most people, driven to do just enough to avoid trouble. The firearms themselves are anything but impressive in my experience. Most of the time they are worn out and in need of parts replacement or replacement all together. I imagine your dads M1 hadn't seen thousands upon thousands of rounds by guys who could care less about the firearms up keep because that was the armorers job.

The AR is a great platform for lefties and shooting ambidextrous.There are a multitude of parts available for the AR to make it ambi. Most people are taught to shoot from boh shoulders anymore. This helps increase the ambi aftermarket. There are also manufacturers making ambi lowers from the factory. Ambi seems to be everywhere I look. Stag even makes left handed ARs. I'm a lefty. 90% of my ARs have ambi safetys and charging handles as well as BAD Levers which can be used as an ambi mag release.

I'm just saying if it were me and I was purchasing a firearm for possible defense I wouldn't settle. My wife and kid mean more to me than, it's good enough or it'll do. Stress is a MF. That 1 MOA group quickly becomes much more. Imagine what a 3 MOA group would do.

12. KHickam

KHickam Member

Well, I learned something new today - I did not know they made lefthanded controls for the AR platform.

But, I am thinking that would still be more the $750 for a basic rifle that I am willing to pay.

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i too was going to state that STAG makes lefty AR15s. as well as stag making good rifles. i have to and have only had one jam. that jam was due to an old magazine. if you are not interesting in takin the time to fiddle with, and make accurate the mini14, i say go with an AR. there are lots of good companys, lots of good ammo, lots of parts. you can have a great shooting rifle for $1000 or less as long as yo ushop around a little. might even make sense to build one. i hear its not too diffacult.

colt, stag, Rock River Arms, Daniel defense, Palmetto State Armory make great rifles. some that do the job but are rated aslightly less would be S&W,ruger,DPMS,bushmaster.

pay the money get something good and you will not regret it

14. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

See what an open mind will get you. That gear has been around for a long time now.

Look into a M&P Sport and some of Troys ambi products. The Sport is an entry level AR but is reported to have good accuracy and reliability.

I'm not saying you have to spend a fortune on an AR but as you move up the quality ladder things improve most of the time.