Can someone explained moe to me

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by lbwar15, Feb 16, 2014.

1. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I know it has to do with the accuracy but what exactly? I see descriptions on barrels and such saying "capable of 1 moe" and thang a like that. Can someone pls explain.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

MOA = minute of angle
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1392602329.938580.jpg

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Sounds like something has been lost in the translation.;)

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I think you want to know about MOA. It is a square inch for every 100 yards of distance you shoot at. I personnally only consider 5 round groups. Others measure with 3 rounds. A gun with 1 MOA accuracy will keep a group of shots inside of the square inch at 100 yards, 2 square inches at 200 yards and so on. This is generally when shot from bags or a capture rest off of a bench.

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I am assuming you meant 1 MOA. Which is Minute of Angle. 1 MOA actualy is 1.047" at 100 yards or 1/60th of a 360 degree circle.
    But to make it simple to understand think of it as 1" at 100 Yards. 1 MOA would represent 1 inch at 100 Yards. 1 MOA would = 2 inches at 200 Yards, 1 MOA would = 3 inches at 300 yards at so forth. So if a company quarantees there rifles to shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards what they are saying is if you were to shoot a group of three or five accurate rounds at 100 Yards and all the bullets impacted within an inch of each other they would refer to this as a 1 MOA Group at 100 yards. As mentioned above if the same group was 2 inches at 200 yards that would still be a 1 MOA Group at 200 yards. Hope this makes sense!

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Humm? Maybe you missed the Math Class regarding calculations? :) It is more precise than shooting 1" squares.;) Sniper we must have been posting at the same time. You had already explained it.:cool:

http://riflestocks.tripod.com/moa.html

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Moe

Magpul Original Equipment. :p :D. MOE

8. BigB

BigB New Member

Question? Am I to assume that a RDS with a 5 moa would group within 5" @ 100 yds?

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Sorry BigB you lost me. I don't understand the question. Just go to my post and calculate.:)

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

No. First, the optics have nothing at all to do with the accuracy of the rifle, they only help you achieve the accuracy of the rifle by making it so you can see where you need to put your round.

A 5 MOA RDS means that the dot in the reticle covers a 5 inch (approximate) circle on a target 100 yards away. It has no effect on where the rounds will hit from any given rifle. If your rifle is capable of exactly 5 MOA, then all rounds should land within the dot. If your rifle is only capable of 10 MOA, then statistically, only half of your rounds should land within the dot. If it's a 1 MOA rifle, then you should theoretically get a nice 1" group where the center of the dot lies, IF it's sighted in properly. But it's harder to get a one inch group if your target is covered by a 5" reticle.

A 5MOA RDS on a 1 MOA rifle is a severe hindrance to the achievable accuracy of the rifle.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That picture was perfect, Mr McC! :D

Sadly now I have to rip off all my Magpul! :D

12. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I must have magpul original equipment on my mind or something. But thanks to everyone I understand it now

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

"Just say moe..."

Hey, pard, if it's any comfort, I can't shoot

MOA, either.;)

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

There are 60 minutes in one degree (360 degrees=one full circle). One MOA (or one minute of angle) is a circle that is 1.047 inches in diameter at 100 yards, or in other words it is slightly more than .86 inches in area (not one square inch as said earlier). That circle grows larger in diameter by 1.047 inches for every 100 yards it is moved out.

In terms of shooting your rifle, the MOA is literally a very long invisible cone that extends from the center of your rifle bore out to the target. Your scope may or may not be centered on the same spot within that circle, so when shooting I always will keep my point of aim at the exact same spot on the target (say, the bullseye) for each and every shot, regardless of where the bullet impacts. After a few shots you can adjust your scope so that ideally the point of aim and the point of impact match at the given distance you are sighting in at.

15. BigB

BigB New Member

Thank you this helps.

16. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I am happy with minute of venison accuracy.

17. JW357

JW357 New Member

Learn something new everyday. I basically understood MOA, without all the specifics. Trip's post helped me a lot too.

It was time for a new signature. This is what you get.

18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You are all WRONG !.......

It is (Minute of arc) The arcminute is commonly found in the firearms industry and literature, particularly concerning the accuracy of rifles, though the industry refers to it as minute of angle. It is especially popular with shooters familiar with the Imperial measurement system because 1 MOA subtends approximately one inch at 100 yards !............

19. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

MOA is the sound made by a Canadian cow.:rolleyes:

20. string1946

string1946 New Member