Can someone answer this question

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by e_a_g_l_e_p_i, Mar 11, 2009.

1. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

I just went to my local sporting goods store to purchase a shotgun and when they ran the application it came back as a delay.

I was baffled because I am a 52 year old former private investigator who had a concealed weapon permit.

When I got my PI license and weapon permits I had every criminal records serach done and passed, I my finger prints sent to FBI and passed, purchased a handgun at the same exact store without any problems.

This was all before 9/11 has things changed??? do they do random delays ???

I now wondering what the hell is going on... does this happen often?? I have not purchased a firearm in 10 years

Thanks in advance

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Where do you live, and I mean what state?

There may be more info needed.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The check system is in overload!

Not to worry, If in three days (may want to check that time limit) they have not cleared the purchase the dealer can sell the gun sans approval.

It's the way they provide themselves with time to approve the CCW requests.

Some one will be along shortly to correct or confirm.

BTW, WELCOME to the FTF! Glad to have you aboard! [​IMG]

4. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

I live on the border of Minnesota and North Dakota, I live in Minnesota and the store is in North Dakota

5. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

canebrake,
    Thanks for the info now I don't have to keep wondering what the hell is going on......lol Thanks for the welcome

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Eagle - Welcome to the Forum

As long as you haven't done anything wrong, don't panic!

There is a TON of people applying right now and we FREQUENTLY seeing delays on people that we have sold 5 guns too in the last 2 years.

The Feds are understaffed and we ROUTINELY don't even get a call back on firearm's purchases after the required 3 days.

If your dealer does not get a call back in three days, you are legally allowed to take the weapon.

I am sure this is merely a paperwork delay based on the staffing on the Feds end, it has nothing to do with you as a person as long as you are sure your record is clean.

JD

7. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

My record is clean as can be, hell I'm too old to get in trouble......lol

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I am betting you are fine bro - it's just that the system is being FLOODED by people that are buying weapons right now.

One of the only parts of the economy that is doing well is the weapons, and related, industry...

Post some pictures when you get your new stick..

JD

9. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

Thanks again,

I'm not buying anything special, just something for home protection so I tried to find the best shotgun for the money. My thinking is I don't hunt so the only time it I would use it would be if someone was supid enough to break into my home.

With the ecomomy going to hell I figure the crime will go up, we just had our bank robbed yesterday. The shotgun I decided to buy was the Mossberg 590, I was thinking of getting the Model 870 Marine Magnum but decided to save the $300 since for my purpose the two guns will both do what I need them for.

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I did not realize the system is so overloaded. The last gun I got was on Valentine's Day, and the dealer cleared me and another guy on the same call. A good friend just got his new one 3 days ago. I wonder if the weather played a part in your area, e_a_g (seriously, a painful name, but hey). I saw youse guys got a mess of snow. When I say mess, I mean a ton. :eek: That near spring stuff always has alot of moisture and heavy. I know, because I lived in Cleveland for 16 years. I hope it comes thru for ya, and be safe.

News said that the roads were responsible for at least 5 deaths. I did not know a road could kill someone. I always thought bad weather and bad drivers were a bad mix, stupid me. :(

11. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i New Member

I should have just used my old PI name Eaglepi, My name is Ron so you can just call me Ron.

Yes we got a bunch of snow.....lol been blowing it all day. here's a pic of what I had to deal with today

[​IMG]

12. mwsfarm

mwsfarm New Member

Welcome Eaglepi! NW ND here- I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with crossing the state lines would it? I tried to buy a handgun at Cabelas in East Grand Forks a few weeks ago- the salesman told me to just drive across the river and buy it- it would be a lot quicker and a lot less paperwork. He also told me that they could transfer it across the river for an additional $30 :mad:...... Hopefully it is just that the system is overloaded. You guys out east really don't have that much snow- This was taken 2 miles south of my farm about a week ago- the kids needed to get out of the house- so we went looking for coyotes for a while............ Still can't figure out why the school bus is late everyday :confused:

Attached Files:

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

That's a lot of white sand guys!

Here's my back yard.

[​IMG]

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If your name is fairly common and you did not provide your SSN, it could contribute to the delay. I'm betting it is just a backlog thing.

Oh, and beautifuil snow. I can't remember the last time we got snow. Had to be 4 years ago. Now Ice? We get ice storms every other year.

15. kcpanages

kcpanages New Member

also it could be that ur a resident of one state and purchasing in another..... i jus purchased a new rifle at Cabela's and i was in and out in 30 min's with the paper work

16. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I ran four background last weekend that came back delay. By Tuesday they had all cleared. I thought it was me at first.

17. snuffynra

snuffynra New Member

dont sweat it,i have purchased many firearms in last year,since obama has everyone in a uproar about his stance on gun control,firearms,have been FLYING off the shelves,they are having a tough time keeping up,i just purchased a double rifle a month ago and i was delayed also.the dealer said its very common lately.some dealers are 11 months behind on back orders.i see you posted yesterday,you probably already got it then.:D