Can railroad spikes be sold for scrap metal?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Big-Nasty, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Big-Nasty

Big-Nasty New Member

I've been helping my grandma clean up around her house for a few weeks now. My grandpa past a few years ago and he was the type to buy old stuff at auctions, yard sales, flea markets, and pawn shops. Lots of good junk and bad junk. Grandmas been wanting to clean the place up and sell what she can. She wants me to take the scrap metal to a junk yard. In an old rusted 59 vw beetle I found around 50 railroad spikes on the floor. I was wondering if it was legal or not to sell them for scrap?

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Why wouldn't it be legal to sell big nails?

3. FearTheFree7

FearTheFree7 New Member

Not 100% sure but I heard you can't because they might think you went out and pulled them up yourself to sell.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yes, they can be sold.

Most scrap dealers are required to maintain records of ID of anyone they buy from.

They are not brass- they are mild steel. Price is likely to be less than cost of gas to drive them to a dealer. Running ABOUT 8 cents a pound.

5. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

I found out that they were not legal here. It was long ago and I was walking around the tracks picking up spikes laying around. When I got a bucket full I went to the scrap yard. A worker looked at it and called over the boss. The boss looked at it and asked me if I want two years in the pen. I told him they were lying around and he said leave them be. I went back and dumped them.

6. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

If grandma didn't pull them out from the track I think you can sell them.

7. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

If any of them say HC on top of them I would be interested in buying those that do.

8. royabbott123

royabbott123 New Member

I think you can sell them as scrap. Find out from the scrap dealer in case of doubt! I think some places don’t allow rail spikes to be sold as scrap because they might have been stolen from the railroad ties, but I’m not so sure! If you’re looking for a fair deal for your stuff, I’d suggest you visit a SIMS metal recycling facility if there’s one near your place. I always go down to a recycling center near my home - http://us.simsmm.com/Locations/New-York/Frankfort to sell scrap when I’ve collected enough to recycle it.

9. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

The scrap metal dealers around here apparently don't care about the origin of your wares. Air conditioners go missing from houses, telephone lines disappear, catalytic converters are cut off of vehicles, things that are obviously not scrap are bought by the recyclers.

10. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Theft of catalytic converters was rampant here in southern Alabama and I think it still is. The recyclers need their wicks trimmed, as in tougher rules/laws for buying. A "lifted" vehicle is the most prone for theft because they are easier to get to.

11. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

i have sold tons of railroad spikes, fish plates, bolts and rail. The two previous owners of a property i bought were scrap collectors. So far i've sold over 70 tons of tractors, vehicles and stuff off that place. There is much more left.

12. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Off subject I know but I always thought the spikes forged into knives were pretty cool. Always wanted to be a Blacksmith lol.

image-3437551387.jpg

13. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

That is a beautiful knife. Some railroad spikes have very good quality steel. My great uncle by marriage was a blacksmith and i always envied his skill with steel and iron.

14. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Oh God, take my money. Where can I get one of those? :eek:

15. FrontierTCB

Lol. I don't know. I wish I had one myself. Seen a few at gun and knife shows before by they weren't as well crafted as the one in the pic.

16. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

17. HankStone

HankStone New Member

Yes but not the Gold ones them be Government Property!

18. FrontierTCB

I can only imagine! Hot hard work for sure.

I found this vid of a guy making one in his backyard. Obviously has some experience. Pretty cool.
    [ame]http://youtu.be/_6yiBqgzrJM[/ame]

19. ClemsonSCJ

ClemsonSCJ New Member

That knife is awesome! But I just looked them up on eBay and ones that are that proportional and well made are few and far between.

20. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Another thing to consider, is they don't use the highest quality steel in those spikes for a good lasting edge knife unless you correctly anneal the spike and heat treat it properly after profiling it. You can get and edge on one but, unless its done right you'll need to carry a wet stone with ya. I've seen guys make them and grind the edges out on a belt sander calling it "good" for a sale :eek::eek:....anytime you see the slightest orange color making contact on your edge from a belt sander, that's a sign the temper is going bye-bye and edge holding ability is being reduced significantly. Remember that fellas...learn to stone sharpen your blades and strop them afterwards and stay away from those new gadget mini belt sharpeners :( they're selling now or electric sharpeners. :)

Alright...I'm done talking my old fart stuff now.