Can never have too many S&W revolvers

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by M14sRock, Feb 12, 2011.

1. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Picked this S&W Mod 10-7 up in a trade from a friend. It is mechanically tight, but someone has tried to cold blue it at some point.

I field stripped it last night and there is a bit of rust inside the yoke.

So I think it will get de-rusted today. Then I'll blast it with aluminum oxide and probably Cera Coat it. But I may just Gun Kote it, as I have plenty of Gun Kote, but would need to order the Cera Coat.

It locks up tight and has a pretty nice action, though it will be much nicer when I finish with it. I may just slap a "Tyler T Grip" onto it and leave the grips as they are. Jury is still out on that, though.

[​IMG]

Just in case the other pic is not showing I'll repost it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  2. 995

995 New Member

Looks like a nice old S&W you picked up .

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Thanks. I just installed a Tyler T and have found a few cans of Gun Kote. Looks like a day of DIY refinishing....

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Would you post before and after pics in the firearm refinishing thread area?

(It looks like a good project. Congrats.)

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Yep. I was going to do that.

Just popped off the side plate and the guts were covered with rust. Whoever cold blued this thing must have just dipped it, fully assembled. Douchebag.

Now have all the rust off the insides and parts. Time for some polishing.

I'll reshape the trigger (and remove the serrations) for double action firing.

6. tekarra

tekarra New Member

A nice project revolver. Good luck!

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I almost bought a model 10-5 for my wife so I could get one of my 357s back but she gave me a look that clearly ended that.

Looks like a great project, can't wait to see the finished product.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I forgot to click a pick of the rusted insides, but here is one after a cleaning with stainless brushes and a Dremel. The rust cleaned off pretty well, but I continued after clicking this pic.

[​IMG]

And here is one of the main components after a good blasting with aluminum oxide. They went back in for a more thorough blasting after this pic. I wanted to blend in a few small pits that I noticed only after they came out of the blasting cabinet.

[​IMG]

The finished product is almost done baking. After it cools it will be reassembled.

And here is the Gun Kote I decided to go with. It was a toss up between OD Green, and this. I also had flat white and flat black. I think this color is discontinued by Brownells, but I still had a full can.

[​IMG]

9. spittinfire

At what pressure do you blast at?

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Not sure. I have not checked in years. I have a small blasting cabinet from Harbor Freight and a 5HP compressor. I usually just let it run up and get to work.

Plenty good for working on guns, and stuff.

I used to have access to a huge commercial cabinet at a local aerospace contractor. I LOVED that thing. It could be set to "cut your hand off" or "clean the tears off a baby". And everywhere in between.

My cabinet is about 15 years old and I need a new gun soon. It has lasted way longer than I ever expected, and I use it all the time.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

And the finished product. Any discoloration you see is Fluid Film.

[​IMG]

12. spittinfire

We've got one that mid sized hooked to a 200 gal compressor set at 180 psi. There is a regulator so I can turn it down but our cabinet is full of glass beads which would probably be too agressive.

Looks like you did a great job.

13. BombDoc

BombDoc New Member

Did something happen or is my computer being a douche?

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

No Pics Rock. :(

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Really? They show up for me. Weird.

16. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

They're showing up for me now but there was the Photobucket thing in the squares when I wrote that. I'm getting tired of their tech issues. They happen entirely too frequently.

17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Thanks!! High praise from a master machinist.

I used to use glass beads. They gave a very fine satin finish which I love on stainless guns.

I switched to the aluminum oxide because it was supposed to be very aggressive, and I was doing mostly Glock frames. Takes the shine right off a poly frame. In your cabinet it would probably cut stuff apart.

18. spittinfire

I've got a frame and slide I'm going to need to blast sooner or later....I wonder what pressure I should set it at? 40lbs?

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I think I used to use 35lbs, but that was with the glass beads. The max on that old compressor was 50 IIRC. I think my current one goes to 70. Does that seem too high?

Start low and work up, I guess.

Now I gotta check the PSI and CFM to find out.:p

20. spittinfire

Maybe I'll start at 20. If that doesn't get it clean enough I can move it up. I'm still amazed how soft gun metal is compared to automotive materials.