Can i use target loads

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by oboyer, Oct 31, 2013.

1. oboyer

oboyer New Member

Can I use target loads on feasant

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You are going to spend a fortune on a pheasant hunt and skimp on the ammo?

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Most hunters use high brass #6 ammo on pheasant. MisterMcCool has a point, not everyone gets to hunt pheasant. I have paid $40 for a pen raised pheasant because my wife wanted it. If mama aint happy, no one is happy.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

#8 trap loads are a little light for pheasants and you would very likely wound many before you bagged one. NOT very sportsman like. You should always strive to make clean one shot kills on anything that you hunt.
    John_Deer is right #6 high brass is a very common load for pheasants.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

You should use "Field Loads". Chilled shot of #5 or #6. Chilled shot cuts thru the feather. Soft shot deforms and pulls feathers in to the flesh. You then get hair balls in your roast Pheasant.:eek:

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

One box of good ammo will go a long way unless you get 25 shots to take.

7. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Use about #6 or below.

And I have heard to try to shoot them when they are flying away from you. Flying toward you the pellets may be deflected by their feathers - seriously - true for almost any bird.

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

oboyer,

From experience they are correct! High Brass 6 Shot is the besty way to go. Whether shooting a 20 ga or a 12 ga. And if you are not always shooting over dogs (setters or close flushing spaniels like springer spaniels who work very close normally) in very cold weather when the birds a holdong very tight, anything else under High Brass 6's are going to allow the Feathers to Fly the Meat Away! as us old bird hunters refer to it. ;) I hunted over dogs for years (with English Setters & Labs) for pheasant and quail and used a 20 ga. to hunt them with so not to damage anymore meat than I had too. And especialy with a flush close to my location. Sure miss it now living in Tennessee! We do not have pheasants and few quail here other than some put and take farms.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

When is the last time flushed pheasants flew in your face. That is the most ridiculous thing I seen posted in awhile. At what angle are a birds feathers on the rise?
    I love hunting with a light Beretta O/U .20 Ga. behind one of my Gordon Setters. A beautiful Fall morning watching a Setter cast and is steady to shot and wing. Now that is a fine day.:)

Sniper 03 for your enjoyment. This is a Gordon pup who is discovering the world of Hunters and their game.;)

Attached Files:

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR New Member

Years ago I shot Pheasants over dogs and used Target loads ? Yes I was young and dumb . I shot fast at going away pheasants and out of three I had one good kill . (dog get the others) I was using 71/2 shot and it just rolled under the Feathers .

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

KeyBear the #7 1/2 Trap loads are effective over a close working dog.They are not the best choice but as you said a strong retriever is needed:)

12. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

Don't matter what you kill it with if you don't know how to cook it;)

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Nightstalker,

Thank you for the fantastic picture! Brings back great old memories. How old is the pup?
    A buddy of mine and I use to raise English Setters and train them and sell them years ago in Indiana. A good dog pointing and backing back then was brining $400.00 which was good money. I also had my 1 in 1000 dog trainers always talk about. She was a liver and white Setter named Sue. Had a few over the years but nothing like her! Set her first covey at about 4.5 months old and turned out to be the most amazing dog I ever had. Of course as soon as she was old enough to walk had her in birds almost every day. God I wish I could bring her back as well as my original black and white setter named Judy. Tell me more about that beautiful pup!
    Thanks for the pic!

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Wow? I attended undergrad school in southern Indiana. Did a lot of quail and "Ruff" hunting in the Hoosier Nat'l Forest. I love your Setter story.
    A "Bred" dog today will run $2,000 that is inflation. This little guy is an incredible 2 year old with only 100 birds shot over him. He is from a top Gordon breeder Springset Kennels. He has a brother in Russia and a sister in Virginia. He is an intermediate Gordon Gun Dog class.He is not standing stud yet. My older dog that was a champ died from a Sidewinder bit this past summer.
    I became interested in Gordons while in Scotland. :)
    This is a shot of him before he feathered out. He is at that stage now where Bird savvy and beauty come together.;)

Attached Files:

15. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Oh, yeah. And watch out for that poisonous lead :)

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I like pointers. When I go to look at puppies, I bring a cane pole and a quail wing. If an 8 week old puppy won't lock up on the quail wing T am not interested. One would imagine setter puppies would react the same way to the quail wing. I have bought dogs that were better than others but I have never bought a dud.

Right now I don't have a bird dog. My health is going downhill. Quail numbers are at an all time low. There is hope! The state of NC hired the gentleman that planned the tremendously successful deer management program to revive quail populations.

17. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Wow! Another "Bird Dog" man. Yes the little guys will set about any thing. We use a "Puppie Pile" a stack of weeds and sticks with bird scent hid in the stack. The 8 week old pups hit the ground hunting and setting around the pile. That is when the .410 shotgun introduces them to live fire.
    It is fun to watch them set grass hoppers. The pups are from the best stock they a born hunters. I use an old fly rod with a peice of yarn that is scented. I don't want them to "sight" point. That is a bad habit in bird dogs. I understand from my eastern friends quail hunting is not good. The desert quail is doing great. But that is how I lost a good dog this year. The Sidewinders can be deadly.:(