Can i use medium scope rings with this setup?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by icallshotgun88, Nov 16, 2013.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

Remington 700 sps AAC SD .308
    Badger Ordnace 1 piece base (0 MOA cant) Leupold VXR 4-12x50mm

I'm looking at the Badger Ordnance Max50 scope rings..

MidwayUSA's website recommends "high" scope rings for a 50mm objective (30mm main tube), but I don't know if they are taking into account the height added by the scope BASE..

So my question is, can I get away with Medium rings?

...I think it'll make for a better cheek weld

Sorry if this is a n00b question.
    This is my first bolt action rifle and I've searched all over the internet and could not get a clear answer..

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

High or even Extra High is what is called for.
    But if you want to go medium, I would try the actual parts. You are below border line

Not saying it won't work, I'm saying you'll need to try them.

Do you have a local gun store that you would like to support? This would be the time.

3. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I don't think it will work but like KG7IL said try them and see. As long as you have clearance between barrel and scope bell it will work no matter how little clearance it is. If it touches no matter how lightly it wont work.

4. alpha11

alpha11 New Member

Badger ordnance rings will work just fine. I have them on a 20 moa badger base on a remmy 700 varmint with vortex viper pst 6-24x50. I can post pics later if you would like. I wouldnt mind having a bit lower.

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

question is, does the scope base extend to where the scope bell projects. If it does not, maybe you'll get away with medium. No one can tell for sure but you with a pair of calipers.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Medium rings will fit almost any bolt action, if you didn't have to work the bolt. The rings need to be high enough to remove the bolt.

7. alpha11

alpha11 New Member

One must take into consideration the heighth of the base also. Thus, medium rings being just fine.

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I dont think it will work , I have a 44mm in medium rings on a standard barrel savage and I think im like 2mm from the objective to the barrel,
    I take that back , I will have to take a look , maybe I have low-med

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  9. alpha11

alpha11 New Member

ForumRunner_20131127_181106.jpg

ForumRunner_20131127_181117.jpg

Theres pics of my setup. Had no clearance issues

10. alpha11

alpha11 New Member

11. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Nice leg shot!

12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

If your using a 1pc rail base on almost any bolt action rifle,a set of medium rings will work just fine on a 50mm objective lens scope. I use medium rings on everyone of my set-ups,and they are just the right height.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]