Can I smooth my rifles action with sandpaper?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by sharpshooter5647, Mar 22, 2012.

1. sharpshooter5647

sharpshooter5647 New Member

I have a USSG z98
    Brand new, the bolt slides a little rough, not bad, but not as smooth as I'd like
    So can I take the action and barell off and smooth it with sandpaper? 600-1000 grit?

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yes you can but steel wool triple fine works alot better.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. sharpshooter5647

Ok, thanks
    Now I'm a novice, is it easy?
    Do I need to be extra careful?

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Fairly easy and time consuming. Hardest part will be the inside of the reciever

5. sharpshooter5647

Now if it's just a little rough sliding the bolt, then can I just smooth the guide rails?

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya and the bolt faces the rails touch will probably need a LITTLE smoothing also.

7. sharpshooter5647

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Your welcome mon ami

9. sharpshooter5647

Do I need to be careful not to do it too much? Or just a quick once over the area should work?

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yes you do but a real quick once over should work. Repeat until your satisfied

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

a method i have used is, very fine valve lapping compound, the type used for lapping valves and seats in a cylinder head. just put a very small amount in the reciever slots and work the bolt back and forth a few times, clean out with a good solvent and compressed air, put a light coat of oil and see if it doesn't make it much smoother. repeat as neccessary until it's working like you want.

12. GunDoc

GunDoc New Member

600 grit lapping compound can help smooth it up but be sure not to lock the bolt and be sure to clean it thoroughly. For a few dollars Wheeler engineering offers a special "wrench" that you can use with a piece of wet/dry to smooth the bolt raceway. Cleaner and easier to do this way. A few passes and your raceway will be smooth.

13. sharpshooter5647

Hey axe, will I need to remove the action from the stock to do that? Or can I do it while in the stock

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Add some oil to that piece of wet dry sand paper. The 1000 grit can give it a nice high polish finish. DO not work much on the back side of the lugs. Go easy there and get some kind of heavy load sythitic grease for the sides and back of the lugs. I use pro-shots pro-gold. It is typtical of mauser and commerical mauser actions to also be loose when the bolt come back a ways.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i would suggest removing it simply because it's easier to work on that way, plus i like to use brake cleaner to flush the compound out and it make have an effect on the finish on the wood. plus after the brake cleaner and air, i like to use hot soapy water to clean everything up and then use air again.

16. sharpshooter5647

Thank you, last question, it seems like when I feed a round into the chamber it gets stuck or not as smooth as I'd like, I suspect it could be the ramp up to the chamber that the round pushes off to get in. Can I smooth that with the lapping compound as well?

17. sharpshooter5647

The ramp that feeds/pushes the round from the magazine to the chamber

18. bradam

bradam Member

lapping compund

Can I use this to clean up the chamber and bolt carrier on my AR?

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

I wouldnt. Nothing good comes of loosening up a ar15 bolt.

You must be extremely careful using lappimg compound to do this stuff. The trigger assembly should be no where near the rifle and it should not be used on locking lugs at all. Get a bit of it on a sear and you pretty much instantly have a very unsafe condition.

Lap locking lugs and the bolt will be loose increasing head space to possibly dangerous conditions.

20. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

Yes, you could. I usually smooth out the barrel channel with sandpaper.