Can I shoot an AR on an acre?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by rman598, Nov 10, 2013.

1. rman598

rman598 New Member

We have a couple of acres in ny and behind our house is a hill that raises up a hundred yards. We have a small range set up where we've been shooting .22s and shotguns. The hill is the backstop and we are a few hundred yards away from neighbors. Is a 223 too loud or powerful to shoot on our property? I really want one I just love how smooth they shoot and the recoil feels perfect to me.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

A three hundred foot backstop seems more than adequate. Can you still acquire an AR-15 in NY?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

22 is waaay too much for that short a distance with houses in the immediate background!! 223/556 will easily go up to 3000 yards under the wrong conditions!!

birdshot will go maybe 50-60 yards with any real force

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you can shoot legally on your property and your neighbors are not going to freak out about the noise, then you should be fine. Really depends on your local laws and ordinances.

5. rman598

rman598 New Member

ive seen AR's for sale in stores and i have a friend who's selling one. The laws in NYS have just gotten so ridiculous though. I
    can't even keep up what's legal and what's not.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Generally speaking earth is a great backstop. BUT, if the soil is rocky you will get some ricochets that will go in unpredictable directions. Exercise extreme caution. The first question is if you can even legally purchase/own an AR. The next is mag capacity. 7-10 rounds is just silly.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  7. rman598

rman598 New Member

Yea I can purchase it and the mag thing sucks but everyone brings in the standard mags anyway. I know 2 former cops and a state trooper that own 30 round mags and bring em in from pa. And to the range i could just brig 10 round mags thats what everyone around here with ars bring so its not a problem. Again no one around heres getting arrested for owning a "high cap mag" or an "assault rifle"

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'd be very careful. Alas, the law's the law. Don't take chances with illegal equipment in your state. And be 100% sure your backstop truly is a safe backstop. We haven't seen it so can't say for sure from a distance.

9. rman598

rman598 New Member

But when the cops are also breaking the law you have to start to question it.

10. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Civil disobedience is one thing, ignoring the laws because some police do is another entirely. Use your head, if you think they will let you get away with it because a cop does it you've got it all wrong. They are intent on destroying the rights of every man, woman and child and won't hesitate to burn you and any police officer who was "supplying illegal weapons and accessories"

11. rman598

rman598 New Member

Yea i see what your saying. Is anyone here aware of the current gun laws in NY anyway? Last time I checked a bunch of lawsuits were being put together against the SAFE Act

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Questioning is good.

However, stating that you plan to commit a crime is pretty stupid. You ARE aware that (a) this IS a public forum, and (b) people ARE getting arrested in NYS for violation of magazine limits?

As far as "Can you buy....."?- If a dealer in your state has it for sale, pretty safe bet.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

you might seriously rethink that. are they breaking the law?

i would seriously consider getting to know what you can and can't do legally.

just because someone else is doing it, and getting away with it, does not give you a free pass. it makes for poor excuse for a defece if you get caught.

travel at your own risk. just some friendly advice.

14. rman598

rman598 New Member

im not planning on breaking any laws. ARs have been in stores and ARs have been shot on public ranges and cops arent arresting anybody. That's why I think it is legal and for magazines im fine with a 5 or 10 roumd mag. I was just saying, alot of people own higher capacity mags. Im just a little confused on the laws.

15. longunner

longunner New Member

I live in New York as well and these laws SUCK....let me start by saying that I am NOT a lawyer...

As far as I understand you can not buy a new off-the-shelf AR in New York anymore. That being said, there are SAFE-act acceptable versions of America's most popular (with good reason) rifle. The compliant guns will either have a fixed magazine or a really weird looking butt stock on it...you ARE allowed to buy a lower and then it is up to you to build it within LEGAL specs.....

16. longunner

longunner New Member

Oh and you can buy 10 round mags but you are only allowed to load 7....I'm sure that this law will only protect us law abiding citizens and that Mr. Cuomo enacted this law in good faith :rolleyes:

17. timbaland753

timbaland753 New Member

You can buy an off the self ar in New York they just can not have a pistol grip or adjustable stock. They sell the with a special grip/stock combo to make the legal.

18. timbaland753

timbaland753 New Member

Ny complaint AR.

Attached Files:

19. AR10

AR10 New Member

Shooting an evil black gun that close to NY City can only lead ti jail time.

20. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

nearly all local police depts except the ones in the city and in 3 counties adjoining the city have declared they will not enforce the NY "Safe Act".
    However the NY State police has made no such statement.

I'd feel pretty safe the form local cops in most jurisdictions But I'd be mindful of the State police, who may assert jurisdictoion if someone thumbs thier noses too blatantly at this law.

And people <have:> been arrested for magazine load violations when stopped on the road.

My advice , never load more then 7 rds out of your own property.
    And if you do on your own property dont advertise it.

if one neighbor doesnt like the shooting and denuciates you to the brownshirts they young eager cop wanting to win favor with his liberal superiors might be willing to claim "exigent circumstances" as a run around your 4th amendment rights and come on your property anyway.

Stranger things have happened as of late.