can i legally own this

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by kiabe1, Dec 10, 2013.

1. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Can i legally possess a former military eotech red dot?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Was it legally obtained military surplus?

3. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

I haven't purchased it yet. Its an individual selling it back from a deployment

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

That sounds suspicious.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if he legally obtained it, i don't see why not. but if it's not, then it's stolen government property. which i wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole!

6. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

A lot of guys were given promo stuff. All these top brands like eotech, surefire, magpul actually gave away their stuff as a way to give their product the ultimate torture test. It also helps them get their name out and they can claim the combat proven theme. To top it off what other way to have an ever glowing halo as to give to the military. So keep in mind what your buying is legal for you to own, that person more then likely got for free. Hope this helps

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  7. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I have heard of people taking elcans off of bmgs and selling them, also all the asvp plate carriers any of us can find on craigslist...those weren't a parting gift to former soldiers

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

If it's marked property of the united states military or something to that effect it's stolen.

The military has not surpluses electronic optics.

It's almost certainly stolen.

9. TCH2FLY

TCH2FLY New Member

You don't state if the seller is someone you know or if this is based on a craigslist or ebay ad.
    If it is based on an ad there is another possibility ... it is a cheap Chinese knock-off with a quick olive drab or desert camo paint job and a scammer is trying to pass it off as surplus.

10. ronin24

ronin24 New Member

It's owned by the tax payer, military is just borrowing it

11. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

It's real military hardware i've handled it in person.

12. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

If the military member was issued this, stay away. That piece of hardware belongs to the military and not the service member. Tread lightly!

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

feel free to go to any military base and repossess the tax payers property.

please let us know how it works out for you!

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have on occasion had the opportunity to acquire recent military (ahem) items. Turned it down. I mean I appreciate out troops and all, and i don't suppose they have been properly compensated for their service, but no. I probably wouldn't be buying this.

On the other hand I do own many items that I purchased legally through surplus marketplaces run by the military and it is marked as property of the US Government. Much of it is from pre- WW2.

15. ronin24

ronin24 New Member

It's easier than you think.... Stay on the porch

16. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

nope............not military property..............the sights, like the crimson trace laser grips, gerber tools and benchmade knives (were never marked as us property) were given to the troops, not to the military. troops were allowed to keep them upon completion of deployment.