can I get some help?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by were153, Oct 30, 2011.

1. were153

were153 New Member

Hey, I'm 17 and from Illinois and I would love to get into action pistol. Does anyone have any advice on a Good place to start? I have access to a S&W M&P 40, Glock 17 and a kimber custom II .45 . Which one should I train with also? I'm no stranger to a firearm but I have no experience with this kind of shooting.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

What exactly do you want to do? I'd recommend IDPA myself, but first things first:

You have to have a gun. Not knowing where your from, you need to check the local laws. In my state the law allows all ages to transport or carry a firearm to a legitimate sporting event. So you'd be in the clear at 17.

You have to have a gun, that you can shoot. Take some classes and get some training. Be ready to invest some money into ammo.

Before you can have a gun, you need to find the one you want. Go to a range that rents handguns and try as many as you can. Look for comfort and pointability. If you have those 2, accuracy should fall right into place with practice, unless the gun's just total crap.

Really though, we need more info on what you want to do.

BTW, welcome to FTF! Hope you enjoy your stay, and stop by the Intro section so we can give you a proper welcome.

3. glock22scout

glock22scout New Member

G17 is a perfect pistol to start with in the production class. I started with one and now use a G34 still in production class. What I would suggest is find a local club go watch a match talk to some shooters. Also look for a new shooter clinic. Great start point! Enjoy your sport

4. were153

were153 New Member

IDPA sounds great! That's what I'm looking for. As for a gun I'm extremely proficient with the three I listed above. I'm very comfortable with handling them. I feel like IDPA will help me in the future because I want to become a police officer.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Hint: It takes more than being proficient with a firearm to make a good policeman.
    Also, competition shooting teaches one way, law enforcement firearms training teaches another.

Oh, Welcome to the forum

6. were153

were153 New Member

I know, being a police officer is tough work. I'm part of the police Explorer program and I'm getting to see how hard it is. And I understand that IDPA is diffrent than the training I would get at the academy. But it can't hurt. And the main reason I want to compete is because it looks like a world of fun!

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, your first hurdle is that you are from Illinois. In that state you have a thing called a Firearm Owner's ID Card- without it, understand you cannot possess a firearm. Will defer to some of our members from the Land of Lincoln on your legalities at 17. How about it, folks?

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Know nothing about all the Illinois laws.

I'll say this OP, the biggest problem I had with LE work is that I just couldn't stand to have to pull someone over and write a ticket :(

9. utf59

utf59 New Member

+1 on what C3shooter said.

In Florida:
    You have to be 18 to legally "possess" a handgun (21 to buy a handgun or ammunition for a handgun). You can shoot a handgun under adult supervision, however, so I see teenage competitors at matches.

I also see matches on TV that include competitors much younger than you, so it must be legal in a number of states. But check your own laws.

The guns you mentioned are all excellent. I would point out that it will be cheaper to train with the Glock because 9mm ammo is cheaper than .40 and .45.

10. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

It's Crazy in California

In the once Great State of California, when taking a youth shooting that is not your own child, you know, like your Grandson, you need to have on you written permission from the child's parent. Furthermore, if the shooting will involve a handgun, the written permission needs to clearly note that handgun shooting is approved.

Not giving advice here, but just passing along my observation and what I could garner from California Codes and other resources.