Can I Get Some Clarification?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by TheSadPanda, Jul 18, 2011.

1. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

So, I am thinking about buying an AR-15 kit tomorrow, but upon further research I've found some potential problems. For the upper assembly, do I need a vice block, and the special wrench? I honestly has no idea this even existed, yet alone, that it was requirement. A pricey one at that. If I was to buy the kit, would I have to purchase these tools in order to assemble the gun? :confused: It was my understanding that The whole gun could be assembled with regular/slightly irregular tools (those I have) not gun specific tools and vice blocks. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

IF you need to assemble the upper (Vs buying one that is assembled upon arrival) you should have the action wrench, torque wrench, and receiver block for the vise.

3. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

The barrel wrench is the most specific tool I have used, I used my vice in my garage with a couple of rubber mats to protect the finish, But you will most likely need a barrel wrench.
    I found one on another web site I visit for $10.
    There might be someone in your area that may have one, But I dont know how you would go about posting a wanted note.
    Best of luck

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

There may be some folks that know how to assemble an upper without a vice block. I invested in Brownell's basic kit, lower vise block, upper vice block and barrel nut wrench, a lower assembly tool kit (flat sided punch for the mag release roll pin, tool to assist with pivot pin detent), etc. I believe it was $100.

I am happy I bought the kit. I have not assembled an upper, yet, but I have installed a free float tube that required removing the original barrel nut. Without an upper vice block, removing and installing barrel nuts would put you upper at risk of some serious scratches or even breakage.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

what kit are you thinking about?? there are a few out there that you want to avoid.

you do need a barrel wrench of some sort to align barrel nut with the gas port. a reciever block isnt strictly needed but it helps for use with some wrenches. before i got a reciever block i made my wife hold the reciever wrapped in a towel. it doesnt take much torque to tighten a barrel.

a block helps more as a third hand and for removing tight barrel nuts.

wrenches and blocks are great tools since building your own your also gonna be repairing your own.

6. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

The kit is unassembled, and I think I can get the wrenches for the barrel nut and stock, but there is no way I can drop the money on a vice block. Any other ideas for assembling the barrel and stock without using a vice block? I do have a vice.

7. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

It's a DPMS panther kit. Basic M4 stuff, nothing special

8. Car54

Car54 New Member

Disregard...saw your above post too late.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

i wouldnt use a vice the reciever is very easy to crush. have a friend hold the reciever.

thats a decent enough kit then.

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Here is a link to the kit I bought from Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41214/Product/AR_15_M16_CRITICAL_TOOL_KIT

11. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

How much do I tighten it? I've red that you "tighten 3 times, then line it up". What the bloody hell does that even mean?

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you reallllly need one pm me and ill mail ya my wrench and block if you promise to send it back when your done.

13. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

That's a really awesome kit I will have to look into in the future, but I can't afford to drop another $100 just yet.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

35-50 lbs. whenever the nut aligns with the gas port in that range. i set mine to 30ft pounds due to thhe added length of the wrench on the torque wrench itself.

15. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I have no idea how to tell the poundage. Do I guestimate?

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

you need a torque wrench for poundage. any shade tree mechanic has two or three laying about

17. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I heard places like autozone would let me borrow one, think that's true?

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

yes. they typically just ask for a deposit which you get back when you return it. its typically enough to cover the cost of a new one if you dont bring it back.

19. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Perfect, one less thing I have to buy! Thank you guys for all your help! I'll be back again when I need more :p

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Are you sure the upper receiver is unassembled in this kit? Many kits come with it assembled and you just build the stripped lower. Del-Ton for one... It would be worth shopping around more.