Can I buy guns?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bizy, Jun 15, 2010.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

Would I be breaking any laws buying guns off the street in Oklahoma as long as they are not stolen? I know gun stores and pawn shops only pay one third of the guns value. How many guns can I buy without a FFL?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I do not know the laws in OK, but I buy (or trade for) most of my guns from private parties. Yes, you run the risk of buying a "hot" gun but my rule of thumb is if the deal doesn't feel right I pass on it. Some folks want a bill of sale and some don't. I generally only deal with folks that have a GA carry permit which "qualifies" them in my eyes.

Check your state laws and always be cautious. As far as how many, if the BATFE thinks you're running a business - they will get involved...

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A FFL is not required to buy guns- one is required to "be in the business" of buying and selling guns to make a living.

Now, how are you going to be sure you are not buying a stolen gun? Yes, there are ways to reduce the chances of that- but you need to give that some thought.

As far as prices paid for used guns- 1. Most people think that what they have is worth a lot more than what it is- and 2. If you are running a business, you have to pay taxes, rent, light bill, salaries- and make a profit. How long will that gun sit in the case, tieing up money I paid for it?

BTW, other than a Collector's FFL (03 C&R FFL) you will not GET a FFL unless you intend to "be in the business". And before you can be issued such a license, you will have to meet all local and state laws for running a business- business license, zoning, sales tax ID, etc etc.