Can barely see out of my Mosin 91/30 sporter scope... what gives?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by khenzel, Jun 6, 2011.

1. khenzel

khenzel New Member

Hi,

I just sportered my Mosin Nagant... put a ATI stock on it, a UTG scope mount (the tri rail that fits over the stock rear ladder sight base), and a NCstar 4x32 illuminated scope.

Problem is that the scope is mounted so far forward that i can barely make out a small portion out of the scope when i rest against the cheek rest. I have to put my eye right up over the bolt to get full visibility.

Is there some trick to gain better visible area out of a scope such as this, or am i pretty much screwed? I suppose i can still see out of it somewhat (like 1/6 the visible area), but it severely hinders use. Is there any tricks to increase this visible area other then the obvious solution of sticking my eye square over the bolt-receiver? (which i'm obviously not going to do)

I'd love suggestions here...

2. Wambli

Wambli Member

A picture of the setup would help a lot.

3. khenzel

khenzel New Member

4. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Did you get a long eye relief scope?

5. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

and if not does your optic have an adjustment dial for eye relief???

feel free to ignore my 2 cents BUT...the only accesory that a MN needs is a bayonet or scope...

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

eye relief is a fixed feature of a given scope usually adjusted by moving the scope itself up and down the firearm. you need a long eye relief scope for your application.

7. khenzel

khenzel New Member

Shoot... i had no idea...

So this appears to be the scope i got:

Amazon.com: NcSTAR® 4x32 mm Mark III Illuminated Reticle Tactical Scope Weaver / Picatinny Mount: Sports & Outdoors

So there is basically no way to make it work for my purpose? It apparently has a 3" eye relief...

Is there a way i could extend the top rail? Do they sell rail extensions to fit this purpose? The bolt bar is not an issue... i have a bent-bolt on order, so it would clear the scope no problem if i could extend it out...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  8. JonM

JonM Moderator

3" is a more traditional mount. im not sure there is an extension. far as i know you would have to put a mount closer to the rear. im not a mount expert as in what is out there but i dont think there is.

that particular scope looks like something folks put on ar15s ak47 etc.

you need a long eye relief scout type scope.

9. Wambli

Wambli Member

What he said...

10. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

The occasional Target Shooting scope will have an eye relief dial around the rear lense behind the zoom dial.

11. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

If you already have the scope and have a bent bolt on the way I would get a rail that mounts over the bolt that way you can have a scope and still retain your open sights..... the only reason to use the scout mount (In my opinion) is if you wanted to keep the straight bolt...... I think ATI makes some mounts for the Mosin

12. khenzel

khenzel New Member

ehh, i guess i'll just take it off and put it on my SKS. I'll have to save up and get a long eye relief scope for my mosin when the time is right. Gotta wait 3 mos for the bolt to come back anyway.

Thanks very much for the replies!

13. khenzel

khenzel New Member

I do have a bolt on the way, but i like the UTG set up with the tri rail so i can mount my light and laser. I just like how it looks.

I think i'll get a long scope and mount it just up to the tip so it will hang over my bolt a good amount. This way i can bring it in and still make use of the rail system i already have.

BTW, if you notice, i had the barrel sawed off just behind the sight post so i could mount a muzzle brake to the barrel. Open sights are not a concern to me on this rifle. I just wanted to make something tactical and modernized.

14. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

So how will cutting the barrel effect harmonics?