Can anyone tell me

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by nobodyspecial, Jun 23, 2015.

1. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial New Member

I was given a SXS 12ga(I believe) shotgun. The gun has very few markings on it. The ones I could find are as follows; F A Loomis IXL No 14, laminated steel.
    Can anyone help me out with info? I've looked on the net with no luck. Thanks.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

F. A. Loomis Shotguns were made by Crescent Fire Arms Co. Hammer sidelock shotguns are listed, but no location for Loomis is given. Likely a dealer for whom Crescent built guns with his trade name. Value will be modest as these were utility shotguns made in the millions and for which there is little collector interest. Value, depending upon condition maybe $150-$250. Many are used as wall hangers today.

Please do not attempt to shoot this with any cartridge. Laminated Steel is the term for "Twist" steel, or Damascus. At one time these were thought to be stronger than cast steel- they were not- and were intended for use with black power shells.

3. RKB

RKB Active Member

+1 on c3's comments. Most likely a Crescent although I've seen references to a Loomis that was a higher-grade British sidelock and some Belgian-made guns. In any case, the key words here are 'laminated steel'. Please do not attempt to shoot it with ANY ammo.
    BTW - where are you in the Volunteer state? I'd like to see the gun if you are anywhere near Knoxville.

4. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

C3 +1. Many mis-identify laminated steel and do not realize the danger. This firearm should be relegated to wall art and NEVER fired. There is good reason you don't see a lot for sale in the secondary market. ;)

5. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial New Member

Thanks guys. My father(who is 80) told me it should be wall art when he gave it to me. I never planned to shoot it as the gun has a looseness to it around the area where the shells would go. Again thanks. RKB I live west of Chattanooga, Jasper is the town. BTW, my father does have a sxs that I'd love to have. The whole gun from end to end can't be more than 30" long. Great gun for home defense I'd think.

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Picture`s !..............

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Does it kind of like this ?..............

Attached Files:

8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thaks C3. I had no idea what was meant by Laminated steel, but now I know. It was something I had never run across myself, and it will be stored away for future use.

9. RKB

RKB Active Member

Probably would be - but make sure the barrels are at least 18" long and the complete gun is at least 26" long. Big Brother aka the US Government has determined that for our own good, those are the minimum dimensions for a 'proper' shotgun and not a 'sawed-off' shotgun, with a few exceptions requiring a license from them to possess it. If his gun does not meet those specs, don't say so on here or anywhere else on the internet! Big Brother is watching.......
    I bet that thing kicks like a mule!!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  10. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial New Member

I think they are similar. As for the short gun, It looks to be like something that would've been used on stagecoaches, just newer. [/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  11. RKB

RKB Active Member

Nice! Sidelever external hammer guns are cool.

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Very Nice old Shotgun! If only it could talk!
    Yes the Loomis Shotguns were imported I believe between 1891 and 1899 to a company here in the states. Where they were sold by the US Company in NY.
    Obviously a Damascus Barrel and not to shoot any modern shotgun shells. But absolutely fantastic as a wall or fireplace hanger and great conversation piece. Thanks for the pics!