Can anyone tell me if i need a ffl

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by teapple, Sep 19, 2011.

1. teapple

teapple New Member

Can anyone tell me if I need any special requirements to purchase/ replace the firing pin on my semi automatic m1 carbine. I know I can install it myself but where can I get one. The previous owner didn't keep the bolt clean and it went full auto, destroying the ejector.

2. teapple

teapple New Member

The weapon wont fire, nor has it in 25 years. Thank you for the advise but please don't jump to conclusions.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

there's people that know much more than me, but I'm pretty sure you don't need one. If you could order it online and the site/ad doesn't say something along the lines of "must ship to ffl" I would just order it and not worry about it.
    This is not legal advice. Just what I would do.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A FFL is required to receive a firearm transferred across a state line, or to "engage in the business" of buying and selling guns. You are doing neither. BTW, the part that is legally a "gun" is the receiver (frame) everything else is parts.

A firing pin for an M1 Carbine will run you about $20 and change plus shipping from gunpartscorp.com, if you want one that matches the make of your carbine. A generic one is a few bucks cheaper.

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

5. triggerman770

triggerman770 New Member

FFl

youcan do repairs to your guns. but if you repair others guns and keep them overnite you will need an ffl(even if you don't charge them.

you say the ejaector was detroyed, If you haven't already you will need to get one of those. I would also get an extractor

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

so you are saying that because i had my fathers shot gun at my house, refinishing the stocks, i have to get an FFL? i have never heard of such, please back up your statement with facts. BTW the said shotgun never crossed a county line or state line, he lives 1/2 mile from me down the road.

7. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

if you had a ffl !and the whole gun you would need to keep records of it but you dont so the point is moot . to order parts if it is not the reciever (s/n)you can buy most any part you need

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Is refinishing guns for others a hobby? Do you make money refinishing guns?

If you can say yes to both questions, then I would suggest getting an FFL and business license.

9. Axxe55

i only do my own as a hobby, and only did my fathers shotgun as a favor of a son to his father. didn't charge him anything, as a matter of fact, you might say i paid him. the day he dropped off the shotgun, i cooked steaks and my wife and i had him over for dinner! i was a shotgun my father inherited from my grandfather and had been in the closet for many years and needed some cleaning and refinishing. i don't work on guns for other people as i have a full time job and have plenty of my own to work on. i am strickly a hobbiest.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Axe, you just put your finger on the fine point. If you are "engaged in the business" of selling or repairing guns- that requires a license. The term "Engaged in the business" of gunsmithing has been defined in law. Yes, it is in writing.

(d) Gunsmith. A person who devotes time, attention, and labor to engaging in such activity as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit, but such a term shall not include a person who makes occasional repairs of firearms or who occasionally fits special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms

Do it for a living- FFL
    Do it as a favor- no

SWSinTN likes this.
  11. Axxe55

thanks c3, exactly what i was trying to say. i am a hobbiest gunsmith (very amateur!) i don't do if for a living or charge for it or do other peoples guns.

12. NickySantoro

NickySantoro New Member

No. Buy the parts. DIY. Parts available from Numrich, Sarco, Orion 7, MA Parts, and many more. You can d/l a good manual at BiggerHammer - When a small hammer just ain't enough - New Server
    The bolt can be *****y to disassemble/reassemble without the bolt tool but it can be done. Watch for flying and disappearing parts. BTDT.

13. danf_fl

Disassemble and reassemble in a plastic bag. It should reduce the area the small parts can spring to. (Even a garbage bag is smaller than a room.)

14. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

dan im in la myself ( navarre) you?

15. danf_fl

Go north on 87 til you hit 90, go west about 5 miles. That's my area.

16. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

I'm as low in Alabama as you can get.

17. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

I guess I'm a felon then, I've done it many times.

18. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

I sound really stupid but what is an ffl and how do i get one??

19. Axxe55

Federal Firearms License. you can apply for it through the BATF. (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms) lots of red tape and regulations, not for the casual pleasure of collecting. they have different types of licenses depending on what you intend on doing, eg. buying and selling, manufacturing, gunsmithing, fully auto weapons, ect. ect.

20. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

How much is it? Say i wanna buy i gun someone is selling on here do i need one? What if i wanna sell one?