Can anyone tell me anything about this shotgun?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by littlec2, Nov 20, 2011.

1. littlec2

littlec2 New Member

Can anyone tell me anything about this shot gun. It was my fathers, and all I know is that it is over 70 years old, but could be much older. Pictures are attached. The only markings I can find on the shotgun are shown. Remington Arms on both sided and the serial number on the triger guard. Someone at one time told me that they believed it had a Dismargus barrel and might be unsafe to fire. All I can see is when I look at it are some squiggley lines or designs that resemble fingerprints. Tried to show this in the picture, but not sure how much you can tell.

Would like to know anything you can tell me about this gun, but my primary concern would be if it was safe to fire. I used this gun to hunt when I was about 18 but since then it has simply set in the closet. In other words it has not been used in the last 50 years.

As someone pointed out earlier my spelling leaves something to be desired and I am in trouble without a spellchecker, so please excure any errors.

Attached Files:

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Those squiggly lines indicate that the barrels are damascus barrels (or look like).

DO NOT FIRE MODERN LOADS THROUGH IT.

Put it where it can be admired, create jealousy, etc...

BUT DO NOT SHOOT IT.

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

About the only thing I can tell you is that it was made by Remington.

4. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Looks like something you should sell me. Just my .02

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

LittleC, you have a very nice old Remington. As has been said already, emphasis is on the OLD. The barrels do INDEED appear to be Damascus.

PLEASE do not shoot ANYTHING in it until inspected by a smith that KNOWS Damascus steel, and then shoot only loads made for Damascus. Basically, that gun was made for BLACK POWDER, not modern smokeless powder. Death, Doom, and Destruction could result.

Do not want to lapse into lecture mode- if you do not know about Damascus and want to hear about it, tell me- otherwise will presume you know, and shut up.

Remington is the oldest US gunmaker still doing business. I will make a slightly educated guess that your gun is late 1800s. Besides the Black Powder issue, shell LENGTH can also be a concern- not all 12 g guns were 2 3/4 inch shells. Just because it fits does not mean it is right shell.

Your best shot (pun intended) will be to contact Remington. They are in NC. TEL: 1-800-243-9700. Please let us know what you find- and congratulations on a nice shotgun.

6. littlec2

littlec2 New Member

Thanks! You have confirmed what I thought. Thanks to all that have responded.

7. littlec2

littlec2 New Member

Thanks, I will take your advice and check into it. I would really like to know how old the gun is. Will let you know what I find out.
    Your response is greatly appreciated.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

10. chewchew

chewchew New Member

It's a 1894 damascus barrel. My wife has one just like it and I used to use it on stagecoach shoots 20 years ago. You must load your own shells with black powder, to be safe have a good gunsmith check it out.
    Years ago when I went into a gun store and bought a gun, my wife would buy her one too and she likes old guns.

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

No early 1900`s snap on forend,

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I would contact Remington direct the curator of their weapon museum there can tell you all about it. And it is damascus and only black powder should ever be shot in it. Otherwise it will destroy a fine old piece which would be terrible! Once again I would contact Remington in Ilion NY.