Can anyone tell me anything about "gun belts"

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by nineguy, Apr 11, 2012.

1. nineguy

nineguy New Member

Hear about "gun belts" but I just use my regular belt to carry. Is there really that big a difference? As my regular belt functions well. Thanks.

2. andye32222

andye32222 New Member

Gun belts are suppose to fit the holster and it isn't suppose to move like it does on a regular belt but like you my regular belt works just fun so I don't see a reason to get get one

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

A gun belt is typically reinforced with a central band or some sort of plastic. My nra carry belt is so sturdy that I can undue it with my 1911 on and it will not shift or droop in any way.

4. levelcross

levelcross New Member

A good belt can make all the difference in the world in comfort and keeping your gun secure. The lighter and smaller your gun the less need for a better belt. How you carry also factors in here.

5. nineguy

nineguy New Member

Thanks guys!!!! Didn't really see a need for a new belt.

6. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

There most definitely is a difference in carrying with a good gun belt. Some belts have plastic stiffeners that insert into a sleeve in the belt, and others utilize a couple of laminations of good, thick leather (my preference). You can select varying widths to accommodate a particular holster's clips or loops.

I have ordered a couple of belts from here over the years, and have been very pleased with their products.

http://thebeltman.net/

CrossBreed Holsters also makes a very good belt from what I hear.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

If you're carrying an LCP in a holster, a good gun belt probably won't make a discernible difference. Anything with a little "heft" to it and you'll notice a big difference.

7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

It does depend on your handgun and holster you use if you need a big boy belt. If you do also check with an area law enforment supply house. They do sell most items to the public and can have some great prices.

8. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I'm not sure I want to plunk down $50 on a belt.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Know I did buy a really good belt at a leo supply for when I carry a revolver in the woods but I also did not pay but half of that 50 bucks for a double thick double sticked belt.

10. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Mine came from El Paso Saddlery (sp) and from a laymans POV, it seems to have 4 rows of stitching and it is very, very stiff. It cost me $50-60 back in the late eighties. Current prices are higher.

Cabelas offers a double thick tactical belt that may include plastic reinforcement. It's about $30. If you find quality leather that will take the weight for less - buy it. They last forever and the only "issue" is if you get too fat to wear it. :D

11. gollygee

gollygee New Member

If you live in the right area of the country, you may find a servicible belt at your 'Farm & Ranch' store. I say the right part of the country because I found a good one at a Farm & Ranch store in Illinois, but checking those type places here in east Texas, find I can get better quality at Walmart! :) Same applies for Western Wear stores.

They will not be suitable for a full size 1911, but may be okay for the light pistols such as g***k & other plastic pistols. ;)

12. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

The best gun belt I had was a Bruce Nelson . That great man is gone and I believe his products are too. I now have a Galco Concealable that I like . If cost is a big factor, you may want to take a chance on one of Cabela's more rugged belts when they go on sale---their garrison belt, perhaps .

13. Ohio_Survivor

Ohio_Survivor New Member

They're great. They make a lot of money for the manufacturers!

My regular belt works just fine.

O. S.

14. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Amish belts work great and cost a lot less.

15. nineguy

nineguy New Member

Where could one see or buy those at? I'm pretty sure according to Amish standards they aren't on the Internet, is my guess.

16. LionHairedFlint

LionHairedFlint New Member

I would invest in a leather punch ( for all kinds of reasons), waxed leather thread, heavy needs and a leather belt blank and some holster blanks. Research each of these designs and then make your own custom fit based on what works and fits on you personally.
    Then, of course for the ladies, there's always these...http://girlsguidetoguns.com/2011/08/23/the-bra-holster/

17. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

One thing that has irritated me for years is the design of the clip-on IWB holsters. The clips are usually big enough to fit a 1 3/4 inch or bigger belt. That makes them so much too big for a regular belt that they allow the holster and gun to wobble from side to side (front to back), and it defeats the purpose because when the gun moves, it feels like the gun can fall out of the holster. And if I wear a really big belt it looks awkward with most of my clothes.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  18. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Just google "amish belts", they make the belts and other products to sell to others that put them online. They run around 30 bucks and are just as good as many "ccw belts".

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

A good gun belt will make a mediocre holster work. The opposite is NOT true!

If you are starting with limited funds, go with the "good carry belt" first.

For best style, comfort and carry efficacy I'd recommend an 1 1/2" width.

If you scrimp for haute couture, you'll look good dead.

20. nineguy

nineguy New Member

Well I carry a xd9sc on a IWB CB supertuck holster and my regular belt seems to pretty well. I will in fact take a look at those amish belts.