Can Anyone Identify This Revolver???

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by GoldDot40, Dec 7, 2010.

1. GoldDot40

GoldDot40 New Member

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

My father found this gun in the attic of an old farm house, and we have no idea about it. Any insight would be excellent. Thanks

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Are there any markings on the top of the barrel?

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Very cool. The U.S. Revolver Co. was one of many companies who made break top revolvers like yours.

The brain is fuzzy, but U.S. Revolver Co was either a division of H&R, or became H&R. Sorry I can't remember more, but I have not seen a U.S. Rev in about 20 years.

4. GoldDot40

GoldDot40 New Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll try and look for any other markings when I stop by my pop's house tomorrow.

5. Esteban

Esteban New Member

I believe U.S. Revolvers were made by Iver Johnson, not H & R. They were NOT a government issue handgun. Someone jump in & correct me if I am wrong.

6. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

You are correct. This was made by the US Revolver Co. by Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works. Just type in US Revolver Co. Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works on the net. You should be able to find out some more info. I do know they were made in the early 1900's.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

You are correct. My brain was a bit fuzzy.

8. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

There are many of this type of revolver around. They were commonly known as "bureau drawer specials". These were commonly given to the ladies of the house for protection. Most can be found in near mint condition as most were bought new, given to the lady, who shot it a few times at a can in the backyard , missed the can but scared the chickens, then loaded and spent the remainder of its life in the sock drawer.

9. amoroque

amoroque New Member

This is the perfect example of why this forum is so dang cool!

Where else could you go and get that much info within 15 hours!

Go FTF!

10. GoldDot40

GoldDot40 New Member

Seriously! I got exactly what I needed, and found the rest through google. Just needed somewhere to start from. Turns out it's not worth much, but still a cool find. Thanks for everyone's help!

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Dollar value may not be much, but the other value? Think ahead about twenty years and what you tell the grandkids about it.

12. Esteban

Esteban New Member

I would buy one to have as an additional home defense weapon.

13. bamibert

bamibert New Member

These were made by Iver johnson's arms & cycle works from 1910 - 1935. They were offered in small frame a large frame and in three calibers: .38 centerfire, .32 centerfire and .22 rimfire. The main serial number is on the left gripframe, in order to see it, you need to remove the grip.

14. bamibert

bamibert New Member

also, the usd value if everything works as it's supposed to it worth around $200,-, but when it has some minor issues it's about $130m,-

15. Swiftyjuan

Swiftyjuan New Member

I played with a broken one of those when I was a kid. My father told me that when he married my mom (the late 1920s) the pistol was operational, and he jokingly told her "Hey woman, I want squirrel for dinner." My mom, who was 17 at the time, picked up the pistol, walked out to the nearby trees on the farm, fired one shot, and a squirrel dropped from the top of a tree. She turned to my Dad and said "I killed it, you skin it."
    My Father told me "Son, I have always been nice to your mother since that day."

16. stelliott80

stelliott80 New Member

That's a neat find. I, too, came into a U.S. Revolver top-break revolver recently! It belonged to my grandpa when he was a kid (1910's-1920's-ish). It is quite worn and shows a lot of use. I have never fired it, but I think it is one cool little gun. Not worth much money, but has a lot of sentimental value.
    BTW, by way of explanation, it had no grips when I got it, so excuse my crudely sanded S&W grips. I'll give it a better set of grips one of these days.

Attached Files: